Gibson Brands Forums

Question on selling my Dark Fire

Howlin4Hubert

I have a question on my DF and selling it.

Like I mentioned earlier I barely took it out of the case and I haven't played it. I did that mainly because I didn't want to get attached but also so that if (now when) I sell it I can honestly say that it is new. However with all the potential problems it could have, such as a bad MCK, would it be better for me to test it out before trying to sell it to make sure nothing is wrong with it. Then if I find a problem get it fixed through warranty first? Or would it be better to just sell it and then down the road work with whoever purchases it if they find a problem? Which would you rather have, a brand new untouched guitar or one that had any potential problems fixed before you bought it?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice you have!

I understand your situation.

i would give it a full check out - read here:

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12677

If something is out of whack - (Sticky MCK, bent Toggle switch that "orbits" as Piezo blend is turned, etc) then register it and get an RMA.

When it returns a month later with a complete clean bill of health and full documentation that it travelled to Gibson for Repairs. ( keep those shipping receipts) - then you can sell to the highest bidder, with full confidence that things are "right".

If it were me Id sell locally on Craigslist, to avoid the Ebay fees.

If any problems occur during the first 12 months, the buyer could return the guitar to you and have you return the guitar to Gibson for any warranty work during the first year. But remember Gibson does not warrant against negligence. So if next September the new Owner breaks his MCK when the Drummers cymbal stand falls over on it and hits it - this is not coverered under warranty.

Best of luck.

If you're selling on ebay, put that in the description. Ask the buyer to pm you after the sale, with their choice. Don't register the DF, whatever you do, and make sure to include the original sales receipt, so they can redeem the R.I.P.

Good luck, and Baby > Dark Fire

You made a wise choice for your baby.

Do note buyer from you will still not be able to claim the RIP and register in his/her name since Gibson looks to see the original sales receipt and wishes to see matching name between the regsitering person and the original sales receipt. Perhaps your best bet for quick resolution is to simply return the guitar back to where you bought it from. Did you buy from a place without a 30 day return commitment etc?

If you can't return directly to the shop I think its better that you register, claim the RIP, test the heck out of the guitar and RMA it if need be and then sell on eBay listing all the issues, how you got them sorted out and how all is now well. Think about it. If the buyer has to open the box, findout about these issues and then send the guitar back to you so you can process RMA etc it will be a problem for both of you.

Either ways, good luck!

If you can't return directly to the shop I think its better that you register, claim the RIP, test the heck out of the guitar and RMA it if need be and then sell on eBay listing all the issues, how you got them sorted out and how all is now well. Think about it. If the buyer has to open the box, findout about these issues and then send the guitar back to you so you can process RMA etc it will be a problem for both of you.

EXACTLY what I am thinking.

If I want to buy a DF and given all the problems history, and knowing I will not have Gibson warranty, I want the original owner to test the heck out of the DF, get the RIP, Iron everything out and sell it as "Fully tested and completely working"

Archived