Gibson Brands Forums

disappointed with T I flat wounds

gruffydd3

I put a set of T I 12-50 flat wounds on my ES275 today. It came with 11-50 round wounds. I was expecting to get a deeper smoother sound. Instead, the T I's are brighter. I have D'Addario 11-50 flat wounds on my ES295 and they sound great. After reading all the good reviews for the Thomasticks I'm really disappointed. I can't wait to get them off and put D'addarios on it.

Depends on the guitar. I had a 1979 Guild X-500 that sounded great with TI. Nothing else came close. Since then I’ve had them on my ‘77 Gretsch Country Club and my ‘85 Fender D’Aquisto and didn’t care for them. I have Chrome 12s on both of them now.

• 2 weeks later...

Flat wounds in general regardless of brand can be a little fickle. I've never tried the TI brand so have no experience with them. I put flat wounds (D'Addario) on my L-5 and love the sort of muted jazz type tone they get. Tried them on my semi-hollow CS356 and didn't like the way they sounded at all so went to Elixir which are quite bright and seem to work well with '57 classic pickups that on that guitar.

All you can do it try a set and see what happens - in your case it just didn't work the way you wanted. [crying]

I decided to give the TI's a little time. They seemed to warm up a little. What really surprised me was trying a Dunlop jazz III pick. I wasn't expecting much difference in sound, if any at all, but the guitar sounds much warmer when I play it with them. I'm actually pretty happy with the tone now. I may still try a set of D'addario flatwounds later though.