Gibson Brands Forums

Big Sky Texas!

Buc McMaster

After a month out of town attending to family affairs, I arrived home yesterday afternoon to find this........

cYS2sX7.jpg

Dave graciously made this custom pick guard for the Big Sky Hummingbird.......kinda cool, huh. Not sure if I'll install it yet (as I told Dave) but I'm thinking it looks pretty good.......solid white guard on blue with a Lone Star cutout........picks up the white binding.

What do you rascals think?

There isn't another state in the union that a pickguard with the outline of the state would work for as well as it would for Texas. And for those familiar with classic blue finishes on Gibson (and other's) electric guitars, to these eyes, the white works better than a tort guard- it's no 'burst, and since we're talking custom colors, why not go with the flow?

Just something I wanted to try. Looking at it now, I would open up the soundhole cutout by about 1/4" to expose the rosetta.

I had a fit with trimming the adhesive sheet because I applied it after cutting out the plastic. If I do another one, I'll apply the backing first and see if cutting through the guard and tape creates a problem.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Looking at it now, I would open up the soundhole cutout by about 1/4" to expose the rosetta.

Yes! That is the only issue I see as well........PM sent!

Yes, Nick, it is a cutout, but it's so low on the guard it's not problem as I don't go that low with a pick.

I think I like it!

I'm glad you're not in Florida :unsure:

I think it looks super, but would fix the rosette ring for sure. If you are on the edge, another reversible option would be a full white guard with a waterslide decal on it instead. Waterslides over white looks great.

Not exactly Texas but I got this on the back of a Tele...

Lars39648531444_4da26a5d32_o.jpgIMG_0452 by

Don't ask me why, but I kind a like it too. It does seem to fit, even tho for me it's a very odd combination of textures and colors, (lile Sal, blue acoustics don't usually grab me, or for that fact any other solid colors, it's either natural or Gibbies Sunburst.) but, for this Bird, yea,, it DOES work.

Just something I wanted to try. Looking at it now, I would open up the soundhole cutout by about 1/4" to expose the rosetta.

I had a fit with trimming the adhesive sheet because I applied it after cutting out the plastic. If I do another one, I'll apply the backing first and see if cutting through the guard and tape creates a problem.

Any suggestions welcomed.

I assume you are using a CNC machine to cut this. Rather than leave a cut-out that could expose the top of the guitar to pick damage, make a drop-in "Texas" piece of whatever color Buc wants to complement the guitar. Maybe red is the right color, since Texas is "red", and it could complete a patriotic theme.

Sort of like Buck Owens' red, white, and blue striped Harmony, but a lot more subtle and more consistent with our Bucaroo's lower-key personality. You may have grabbed a tiger by the tail in making a custom guard for Buc.

Well the consensus seems to be positive. I admit a blue Hummingbird is not traditional, but by golly with that white guard it just seems to work........the original black one just looked, well.....terrible. Dave's going to cut another with a 2.5" radius which will place the guard about .125" outside the inner rosette rings, and if this does in fact line up right I will install it. The more I look at it the more I like it. Thanks, Dave! [thumbup]

Sorry buc , I'm not loving it

I'll have to edit, because I didn't mean to sound rude

You know I've always loved ya buc

I just couldnt live with a blue guitar , like having yellow Jeans

The pickguard is very cool though , but still doesnt save the whole picture for this guy

I personally love this. Just massively cool and unique. A blue Hummingbird with a white Lone Star State guard isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea but it's right up my alley. Not another like it in the world!

Archived