Gibson Brands Forums

Telecaster pickups

Black Dog

I did a partcaster Strat with Tonerider pickups and if I were doing a Tele I wouldn’t hesitate to try theirs. I’m not really an expert on what’s “the best” pickup but I feel like they met my expectations from their description and what I wanted.

I have always loved the sound of my ‘08 American Standard Tele with stock pickups. Those pickups do not necessarily ooze that classic country twang but they have a nice clear and defined sound that seems to work for any style

I guess my experience overall is that it’s almost hard to go wrong with the Tele. It’s sortof an economical design by nature, so no need to spend a ton of money to get it right. Whether you go Fender, Duncan, etc etc it will probably meet your expectations. I would almost be more wary of the suggestion that says ______ pickup is the BEST although I realize my comment is basically aimless [mellow]

I've had Fender Vintage Reissues, Seymour Duncans, Dimarzios in my 1977 Tele. In 2009 I put it back 100% stock and never looked back. I even put the original 1 meg pots back in. I may go back to 250 so I can more easily do Buchanan swells.

I have always loved the sound of my ‘08 American Standard Tele with stock pickups. Those pickups do not necessarily ooze that classic country twang but they have a nice clear and defined sound that seems to work for any style

I agree. I have a stock 2007 AS Tele, and I think this is how a Tele should sound. BTW, I frequently use the neck pickup for jazz.

Thanks for all the recommendations, yeah I was wondering about Fenders. Noiseless maybe?

I know I said vintage but then I came across these which are interesting:

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/steel-pole-42-telecaster/

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/steel-pole-43-telecaster/

they're over-wound and with ceramic magnets, supposedly more of a P90 tone according to Fralin.

I've put everything in a Tele you can. Like, dozens and dozens of Teles over 48 years playing.

Thanks for all the recommendations, yeah I was wondering about Fenders. Noiseless maybe?

No. I use Seymour Duncan Vintage Stacks. Quiet, twang, grunt and grind. The Noiseless are nice, but they just don't quite do it and they sit up too high.

rct

I use Seymour Duncan Vintage Stacks. Quiet, twang, grunt and grind. The Noiseless are nice, but they just don't quite do it and they sit up too high.

rct

Well, I am a fan of SD pickups. The Vintage Stacks sound really good. I also like the SD Hot for Tele's. Right now I'm leaning toward one of those.

A Telecaster already is a Partscaster!

rct

Absolutely. There's almost nothing you can't do to them. That's why if you're a tinker'r they're practically irresistible. I've tried for a while, but I finally gave in. And, that's why I'm not just buying a Fender.

Absolutely. There's almost nothing you can't do to them. That's why if you're a tinker'r they're practically irresistible. I've tried for a while, but I finally gave in. And, that's why I'm not just buying a Fender.

I will say this though. Nobody makes a Telecaster like Fender does. Nobody. You never see a guy who says "yeah man, this partsPaul is the best I've ever played..." because nobody makes a Les Paul like Gibson does. Even the Stratosphere guitars are great, they feel like a Fender for the most part, but you don't save any money at all. Might as well buy a Telecaster and put the pickups in it you want. And White Pearl. Needs White Pearl. Screams for it.

rct

Archived