Gibson Brands Forums

NGD! I found my J100!!!

jchadn

Since you guys were in on the search I thought you should be some of the first to hear... I found my j100! It's a '93 Centennial Edition in Tobacco Burst!

(I have pix... Can someone tell me how to include them?)

We've all heard the used car story that goes something like this: "It was driven on overcast Sundays only (to church of course) by a 90 year old grandmother!" This is the guitar version of that story, except the 90 year old lady never got the car out of the garage! The older fella I bought it from bought it in 1994, put it in the closet and never learned to play! Since 1994 he has taken the guitar out three times, each time taking it down to the guitar shop and having them change the strings, only to return back to the closet, never finding the time to even learn. He even has two grandsons, who he tried to give the guitar to and they weren't interested. So I now have this 1993 unplayed J100!

It gets even better than this. His dad bought him a brand new ES225 T in 1958 for $200. You guessed it...it's been in the closet since 1958 never played. I'm not an electric guy, nor did I have the $4,700 he was asking for it! My guess is he would take quite a bit less and it is undoubtedly worth every penny and then some.

I will say I had followed the advice of many of you and extended my search to include Hummingbirds as well. I was also determined to only buy what I could put my hands on and play first (I drove almost 4 hours to play this one)... And I must say this one plays like a dream! The downside is that it has not benefited from 25 + years of being played and broken in. The upside is I get to do all the breaking in myself!

Congrats, but P.,O.I.D.H.

If it did happen, imgur.com is used by many here, and is fairly straightforward. The first minute of this video will walk you thru the sign up process, and once sign in info saved, you'll most likely never need to revisit that part. The how to post demo begins at 1:09. Once you've found the upload button, clicked on your uploaded image from the "images" page, the vid shows the handy "BBCode" button that appears on the lower right of the page. That'll allow you to embed pics directly into the Gib forum's reply box without needing to use the forum's post image button. I've not had much luck using imgur on the mobile, though.

Looking forward to seeing the big '100 out in the daylight after all those years under the bed.

Edited by 62burst

Stories in the vein of the one above are candy for a community like this Board.

We feel it all the way - that be 4 minutes, 4 miles or 4 hours drive.

26 years, , , maybe the guitar isn't played in, but almost 3 decades must have done a thing or two to the woods.

It has to be drier thus more responsive, , , I'm sure age is there somewhere in the nature of the instrument.

Congratulations - now sweet-beat that Jumbo open.

Hey, zombywoof. It's a 93, but you're right, it's not a Centennial version. It just has the banner headstock, which I confused with the Centennials. Great great guitar!

Edited by jchadn