Gibson Brands Forums

R0 vs ‘86 Custom

Itsme

I currently have a really clean ‘86 White Les Paul Custom in very good condition (and all original) but am considering a trade offer for a 2003 R0 in mint condition plus $500 from me. Any thoughts on the value here? My Custom is nice but she just doesn’t sing for me but I also don’t want to be short sighted in terms of value.

I currently have a really clean '86 White Les Paul Custom in very good condition (and all original) but am considering a trade offer for a 2003 R0 in mint condition plus $500 from me. Any thoughts on the value here? My Custom is nice but she just doesn't sing for me but I also don't want to be short sighted in terms of value.

hello!

here are my 2 cents: your guitar ranges approximately between $2800-$3900 (checked this on several online websites). The R0 from that year i saw a more broad range from $4000 to crazy $7000 for some R0 with brazilian rosewood

So in terms of price i think its a fair deal, but i would recommend trying out the R0 first and see if its what you are looking for, i mean an R0 its an R0 and custom shop les pauls are gonna hold value, but in the past year-year and a half i saw a big increase in price for 70s-80s les paul in general, including LP customs. So i would strongly suggest playing that R0 to see if its the one, otherwise i wouldnt let go the 86 custom , seeing that they are increasing in value. but that;s just me msp_thumbup.gif

...My Custom is nice but she just doesn't sing for me but I also don't want to be short sighted in terms of value...

As FemmeParallell says you willl have to try out the R0 before you can make an informed choice.

IMX (FWIW) there are, proportionally, more great R0's out there than there are great LPC's and if your Custom doesn't sing then the R0 might just be the thing you are looking for.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

P.

Archived