Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Buzz

mdmoore255

Hey guys, I bought a used 2010 J45 that has a buzz coming from somewhere and I cant figure it out. Get this... It only happens when I "thump" an open "A" with my finger. There is something about that frequency that is causing a buzz somewhere. I'm almost certain it is not neck relief. I have ran a piece of paper under the strings all up and down the fretboard and it doesnt impede the buzzing sound.

It really sounds like it is coming from under the bridge plate somewhere, maybe related to the electronics. Nothing I do can make it stop when a play a strong open "A". I've messed with the saddle and bridge pegs etc etc.

I'm going to take it to the luthier one day soon, but just curious if anyone has ever experienced anything like this. It's a bit of a drive for me to take it in for examination.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Does the 2010 have Grover tuning machines? I had a buzz which ended up being a loose bushing which was allowing the washer below it to vibrate.

Rich

It does have Grovers... Maybe I could test that by grabbing the tuning machine firmly [confused]

Let’s try this

That demonstrates it pretty well. Often a buzz like this is related to some part of the pickup system, and others here will no more than I do about that. I assume you've checked that the ball ends of all the strings are properly seated against the bridgeplate, and that there is no issue at the nut.

Is it only on the open string, or is it still there if the string is fretted?

That demonstrates it pretty well. Often a buzz like this is related to some part of the pickup system, and others here will no more than I do about that. I assume you've checked that the ball ends of all the strings are properly seated against the bridgeplate, and that there is no issue at the nut.

Is it only on the open string, or is it still there if the string is fretted?

Yeah, only the open A. Nowhere else does it do it. It’s possible, let me get my phone in there and take a few pics.

Ok so here are some pics. It’s obvious some of the adhesive pads holding the wires down on the side have come loose. Maybe there is something to that. My guess is the one attached to the bridge plate though...

post-99920-089432200 1554168698_thumb.jpeg

Just guessing, I too would suspect the nut slot.

My preferences for string height at the first fret are (starting with the bass E) .022" - .020" - .018" - .016" - .014" - .012"

I sometimes get lucky when I go less but more times than not, below that will buzz with an open hit and I fill in the slot and recut it.

As with all your setup, the harder you strum, the higher your setup needs to be both at the nut and the saddle.

I have a gage for this but you could check it with a feeler gage.

Sometimes it is just a washer on the plug jack. There is usually 2, but one of them is enough.

Removing one did the job for me.

I also thought it was about the setup or something, but it was just the darn washer.

I got it back today, it was the nut. All signs pointed to the nut but my ears just couldn’t hear it. The luthier did a great job. If you are near Newnan Ga I recommend Brown’s Guitar Mill for guitar work.

Archived