Gibson Brands Forums

Older PR-500 or newer DR-100 acoustic guitars for camping?

optofonik

I'm keeping my budget under $100 (preferably around $80) for a used campfire/roadtrip guitar.

The PR500 is an 80's model made in Korea and the DR100 is a current model made in China. The PR500 is about as much as the DR100 I'm looking at so the price difference doesn't mean anything here. With CNC technology where it is now I know the DR100 is going to be fine for my purposes, a laminate top campfire guitar. If the PR500 is a better built higher quality guitar still suited to camping I'd certainly go for it over the DR100. Seems to me, IIRC, the 80s weren't exactly a golden age of consistent quality, affordable, playable guitars.

Any opinions?

Edited by optofonik

....Seems to me, IIRC, the 80s weren't exactly a golden age of consistent quality, affordable, playable guitars.... Any opinions?

They'd both probably be fine. IIRC, it was the early 70s that was kind of a low point in guitar production.

• 1 month later...

Actually, I'm in the same dilemms, having just bought an RV. I treat all my guitars with the same care and respect; from my D41 to the DR100. The thought of a "beater" guitar is new to me.

I tend to reserve the "beater" designation for a guitar that, should the environment be hostile, won't constitute a serious loss or be difficult to replace. I, too, am a "care and respect" guy, but would rather not subject vintage stuff to camping and the like.

I tend to reserve the "beater" designation for a guitar that, should the environment be hostile, won't constitute a serious loss or be difficult to replace. I, too, am a "care and respect" guy, but would rather not subject vintage stuff to camping and the like.

So...with that in mind what are your thoughts on travel guitars?