Gibson Brands Forums

Using John Lennon For Advertising Is Wrong...

Murph

I'm sure it can't happen without Ono's thumbs-up nowadays.

There was a rather odd one where Lennon and Hendrix (plus a third person) was involved, must have been from the 70s.

I posted it here a long time ago, but can't find it in my archive.

Well.. at least Dylan wont ever

Well, Dylan advertised for some car-brand no many miles back, didn't he.

Or was it for the entire American automobile-industry. Remember him being pretty serious involved in that job.

Wait a minute, , , that might have been a fake stand in.

(Third edit)

Then again, I'm not sure.

Edited by E-minor7

I'm sure it can't happen without Ono's thumbs-up nowadays.

There was a rather odd one where Lennon and Hendrix (plus a third person) was involved, must have been from the 70s.

I posted it here a long time ago, but can't find it in my archive.

Well, Dylan advertised for some car-brand no many miles back, didn't he.

Or was it for the entire American automobile-industry. Remember him being pretty serious involved in that job.

Wait a minute, , , that might have been a fake stand in.

(Third edit)

Then again, I'm not sure.

IBM last year

The irony of John Lennon on this one is that if Kelligg’s Corn Flakes used a song of his, John Lennon used Kellogg’s Corn Flakes theme song idea of Good Morning Good Morning as the basis for developing his own song on Sgt. Pepper called “Good Morning Good Morning”. Known Beatle trivia. (Feel free to check Wikipedia about Lennon’s Good Morning Good Morning song).

So if Kelliog’a obtained the rights to a use a Lennon song, there is a bit of cool irony in that, that I would think all involved parties knew about. Which in many ways is kinda cool.

Re: Dylan. Besides the recent Blowin’ in the Wind commercial use, Dylan appeared in a Chrysler ad a few back, during the SuperBowl. Dylan always spoke in terms of his music career. It was listeners who spoke of it being something else. Yes? (He’s now also selling a book, artwork, bourbon, besides his always having management to book him gigs, get others to record his copyrighted material, sell his musical archive scrapbook, keep him signed to an iron-clad record deal, etc.

I personally do not see anything wrong about this stuff. Times change, music can still be an art, but it can also be a business to market the art, and in today’s world where the music business is thoroughly changed from what it once was, whatever it takes to creatively get good music out to people (and new listeners) as long as it’s honest

, , is what it is. When was it ever not also a business besides being a cultural thang? (Cut-throat dishonesty/egotism, etc. in the music business is a whole other subject that I will not defend. But, that is not the topic under discussion.). Just my opinion.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

Perhaps the main difference is that John Lennon is not doing this of his own volition (being deceased), whereas all the other performers mentioned here did sponsorships by personal choice.

BINGO !

That's what makes it wrong. If he'd done it, it would be one thing, but he didn't.