Gibson Brands Forums

Using John Lennon For Advertising Is Wrong...

Murph

Hell, Jefferson Airplane did Levis commercials. In the mid-1980s the Long Ryders and Del Fuegos did commercials for a beer company.

Yeah, that Jefferson Airplane Levi's commercial was weird. It's even on the 2400 Fulton Street compilation album.

Of course, we wore white Levi's when I was in high school in the early 60's, but by the time that commercial came out, I didn't even know they still existed.

Let's face it: performers are out there to make money. God bless'em.

Edited by j45nick

I totally plug into the thought that songs are icons of dreams, , ,

sometimes collective, but primarily individual dreams and memory-cards of peoples lives and trail.

To suddenly see a song that covered your first love-affair or a Holiday or an entire madjik summer hi-jacked by a soap-, food- or car-product is a downer.

Have been offered several deals in my wild youth - one huge for soft beverages - and it didn't take 10 seconds to refuse.

Would rather eat spaghetti, tomatoes and dead flies than to dip the music in brand-glue that sticks forever.

That decision was never regretted - even though the ketchup sometimes ran dry. .

• Upvote 1

Let them sell what they want... if whoever is supposed to give the nod to using lennon, and they give the nod then so be it. There's very few musicians (or any people) that measure up to the eye of public scrutiny.

Back in the day where information was scarce there was a sort of reverence about these people, 'they must know something special... ' now in the age of information where you know what they had for breakfast, much less a brain fart they had and something stupid they did, you realize they're all just regular people capable of making unwise decisions with the best of us, maybe with a lot of money and success, but still regular people, so I say - make a buck.

Exactly WTF is this thread about? Who is using John Lennon for advertising? But, whatever, why would it matter? The Beatles were about as commercial as it gets. And some heir probably owns the rights to his name and image, so it's no wonder that they would want to continue to profit from it. I was a huge Beatles fan in the 70's and 80's. Today, I'm just not interested. Every now and then I start to listen to one of those old albums and end up switching to something else after a few minutes.

Shes not using the money for singing lessons that's for sure

Have you heard her murdering gig in the sky by floyd ??

Man alive

While the whole record was pretty raw and loose, she sure as heck destroyed Side 2 of Live Peace in Toronto. It is one of those albums where I could not even name a song on the second side without actually pulling out the LP. The only other LP I can think of where you would be hard pressed to name a song on the B side would be In A Gadda Da Vida.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Upvote 2

The only other LP I can think of where you would be hard pressed to name a song on the B side would be In A Gadda Da Vida.

I didn't even know there was a B side to In a Gadda Da Vida. I've only made it through the A side a couple of times. It cured me of ever wanting to listen to heavy metal. I needed a dose of James Taylor afterward to clean out my brain.

You could use it as a form of conversion therapy to convince kids heavy metal comes straight from Satan. (Wait a minute. Isn't that what the Louvain Brothers did?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7V7qh8u4AQ

• Upvote 2

I kind of agree. Sometimes her voice has a certain sweetness to it that grows on ya. I heard some stuff on YouTube from her latest album, and it’s got a sincerity and sweetness to it that is actually kinda good to listen to. And, some of her lyrics are kinda good, too.

Just my two cents.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

But back to the Bob Dylan thing, he has done commercials with him in it for Pepsi , IBM, Chrysler, and others ...

Dylan is alive, CHOSE to do them, and was compensated. That's cool. It's capitalism and Bob is a GREAT capitalist. He was getting $40.00 for t-shirts when I saw him last.

John's voice being used for advertisements after his death and without his permission feels wrong to me.