Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LarryUK

Trying a lube for sticky nuts today.

Sounds good, keep us updated once you tried it. I use a drop of pure mineral oil on the stock nuts of mine when I put new strings on. Works fine, on my Tele and my LPJ.

Luckily the graphtech nuts don't need any lube.

This whole thread just sounds wrong! msp_lol.gif

as soon as I saw it I was looking forward to your comment, you've shown considerable restraint buddy, lol.

I find that coloring in the nut slots with a 0.5mm mechanical pencil (easily obtained at Walmart) works just fine. I use the ones with the plastic barrels; I think they're made by Bic. I've been doing it this way for a very long time. Just make the slots black on the entire inside surface and you're done. After that, touch 'em up when you change strings. It's a very economical solution that works well!

This whole thread just sounds wrong! msp_lol.gif

s-l300.jpg

Honestly I was going to say that I thought it was a thread that Big Bill would have started! [flapper]

I use the big bends stuff too but man it is expensive and the little syringe is a booger sometimes to squeeze out the right amount. I am looking for an alternative as well. I been thinking of the hockey puck looking container stewmac offers. Anyone tried that one?

Well it's says it's for "metal/plastic/rubber" doesn't say anything about bone or nylon or whatever else a guitar nut might be made of? I have always used "Guitar Grease" that I got at a guitar shop, it's a StewMac product, a little plastic container about the size of a quarter and it's just gooey graphite that I put into the slots on the nuts using a sewing needle or the like. Then wipe any excess off. Works well enough. Was not expensive maybe $2, I don't recall. If the slots in the nut are cut properly they don't need much lubrication. Almost all nuts on my Gibsons had some ping in the tuning and I would get a luthier to file them for a couple minutes and then they were good.

Well. I tried it on my sticky nut and it worked perfectly. It's about the size of a nail varnish bottle, so there's plenty of it. For £4 it's worth a try. From reading the spec it's for RC cars. If it stops friction on bearings it must work on a string. I'm going to put some on my main guitar and try that. It comes with a brush, but a tooth pick is probable easier.

Perhaps someone that uses big bend nut sauce can buy a bottle and compare?

I just use pencil graphite. I take a Number 2 pencil, sharpen it and 'write' inside the slots every time I change the strings.

This works well and seems simpler than buying a special product for that effect when I always have a pencil or two around.

Insights and incites by Notes

I use the big bends stuff too but man it is expensive and the little syringe is a booger sometimes to squeeze out the right amount. I am looking for an alternative as well. I been thinking of the hockey puck looking container stewmac offers. Anyone tried that one?

it lasts forever (my tube is going on 5 yrs) ....but I'm beginning to appreciate how well simple pencil graphite works to minimize nut binding....

Big Bends Nut Sauce

Sounds like a condiment you would find on a table at a gay restaurant, right next to the salt and pepper!

Well, I have to admit, I saw Big Bill's name and Sticky Nuts so that drew me in to take a look. msp_flapper.gif So you guys actually put stuff on your nuts? msp_confused.gif Learn something new everyday.

Honestly, I have never ever put anything on the nuts of any of my guitars before. Take the old strings off, slap a new set on and no problems. This is the first I ever heard of anyone putting stuff on them.

Sounds like a condiment you would find on a table at a gay restaurant, right next to the salt and pepper!

There are gay restaurants?

There are bar for that lifestyle...restaurants maybe. I'm sure Big Bill hopes its all you can eat if they exist.

They're popular for their sticky buns.