Gibson Brands Forums

1937 l-00 with next to no play time.

BurntTurkey

Hey everyone my name is Ron and this is my l-00 that I still know next to nothing about.

When I was around twelve my grandmothers brother passed away and he left her his old guitar. From what I've been told throughout the years, it was bought new, and he never learned how to play so it stayed in its case, in the bottom of his closet for the next 70+ years.

In 2003 my grandmother brought it too our house and gave it to my mother. No one was a musician of any sort whatsoever, and no one knew the value or history of this guitar. The guitar was virtually in like new condition besides very slight, almost microscopic cracks in the glaze which I'm assuming is unpreventable with age. That's when I began to use it as a toy. It sat on my floor for years. I stepped over it. Strummed it for seconds at a time.

An even longer story short, I knicked it up in a few places and I'll never stop kicking myself for it. I have now been playing for close to a year now, some days practicing for several hours with my Ibanez. A few weeks ago I decided to get the Gibson set up to play with in a much gentler way. And it sounds like an absolute dream but I still don't know much about it. The guy who set it up for me was very much impressed with the condition it was in so I decided to leave out the part of every knick he does see was put there by my negligence. Here are a few pics and any info you can give me about it would be greatly appreciated. I honestly don't even know if its authentic. I was told that in the 30s, there was no knockoff guitars being produced, but I find that hard to beleive.

https://i.imgur.com/5mxlNTD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Wg3ZAs5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RtT9fGF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CLTMpbG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7hJMWp3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HWzH0EB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jLqcfqR.jpg

If the ink-stamped number on the neckblock is 436B, that suggests 1936. That may also be the remains of a red-pencil number below the ink stamp.

There is nothing I see that indicates it is anything other than an extraordinarily clean vintage L-00.

You should get a good hard case for it if you don't have one.

If the ink-stamped number on the neckblock is 436B, that suggests 1936. That may also be the remains of a red-pencil number below the ink stamp.

There is nothing I see that indicates it is anything other than an extraordinarily clean vintage L-00.

You should get a good hard case for it if you don't have one.

1936! Thanks! I have a thick padded bag for it but no hardshell case yet. One is coming very soon though. The owner of the shop I took it into gave me a bag for free because I did not have one yet.

I've never noticed the red one mark before and It does look to be. Anything wrong with hanging an old guitar from the neck?

I'm not an expert on these things, but I'm pretty sure you got something you should be pretty psyched about. It is nice looking!

I am stoked for sure! Being in the family for so long. Plus the fact I'm an finally at a point where I'm truly starting to enjoy not only playing but learning new things on guitar, I'm damn near obsessed with it. I don't think I would take any offer of money for it.

After doing what research I could do, and seeing other 30s l-00 in "excellent" condition so FAR from the condition this one is in, I realized its somthing special. Which is why I wanted to share it here with Gibson appreciates.

Yep. Gorgeous. Congratulations!

I love my old guitars hanging on the walls. Never cased unless going somewhere. Glad you're breaking it in. Keep your fingernails short so you don't dig into the fret board and don't hang it on a wall that fronts an exterior side of the house, nor over a heat source like baseboard.

See, all you humidity noodniks! It held up fine to all the atmospheric changes all by itself.

Hi!

That guitar looks sensational!

No offers taken, eh? I watch Reverb.com for L-00s and most seem to be in awful condition but go for $5 - 6K. In the beautiful clean condition of your guitar in the photos, I would say it could be worth upwards of $10K in somewhere like Gruhns, Nashville. Now that would give you the heebies as you stepped over it on the floor.....

BluesKing777.

That beautiful old guitar deserves to be played. I would also treasure it as a family heirloom as you have and would never part with it for any amount. I would definitely add it to your insurance policy after I got it appraised. You don't see a guitar with that age in that excellent of condition very often. You are a lucky dog to have that passed down to you.

Lawdy that thing looks like it is only a couple of years old. The fact that it has an unbound back alone would indicate it was built before 1937. Based on my 1932 and 1935 Gibsons they apparently went to a slightly different style tuner in 1936. I love the "Top" stamp.

If it were me, especially if there are kids or dogs around, I would invest in a really good case - something like a a Hiscox or, if you have a strong back, an Ameritage. I do not even leave my Harmonys out or in a gig bag.

So, the second time capsule guitar appears on the forum within the same week, this time the capsule arrived from way further back, 1936. As the OP BurntTurkey said, the guitar sat in it's case for it's first 67 years. It "cured" very slowly, with minimal air circulation for a very long time, sitting in it's case, in a closet, covered in whatever the bottom of closets accumulate. As Zombywoof suggested, those tuners, once again, tell the tale- not only have the t.buttons not shriveled/cracked, but the tuner plate has almost no oxidation. Incredible.

The finish is amazing. The guitar's steward should keep in mind how nitro lacquer can get brittle with age. Check out the lack of any chipping around the soundhole.

What happened to the original case (not that much of those cases provided much protection at all)? A photo of that (and any contents in the case pocket) might complete the time capsule.

You've had the guitar for ~16 yrs and no cracks have appeared- that's a good sign. Does this mean that once a guitar has aged over 80 years that it's fairly stable, and that proper humidification is more important for newer guitars, or does the OP live in somewhere known for a humid climate, like New Awlins?

Before the guitar gets more regular play, zooming in on photo 2, having a trusted local luthier check it out might make the guitar more enjoyable to play.

Thanks for sharing the story of this survivor.

So, the second time capsule guitar appears on the forum within the same week, this time the capsule arrived from way further back, 1936.

Before the guitar gets more regular play, zooming in on photo 2, having a trusted local luthier check it out might make the guitar more enjoyable to play.

Thanks for sharing the story of this survivor.

Agree on all. Looks like the action may be a bit high.

If you take it to someone, please make sure they are used to working with vintage guitars. This is NOT a guitar to take to your local Guitar Center for a set-up.

Think of it as owning a fine vintage car. You wouldn't take it to your local quickie oil change place for a tune-up.

If the OP can tell us what part of the country he is in, we might be able to suggest someone. It's always good to take a guitar like this in for inspection by someone really knowledgeable. They may identify potential issues before they become a significant problem.

Even the best-kept 80-year-old guitar is still 80 years old.

So I do have the original case I THINK. It is an old black "Aligator skin" case. It is made of what seems like paper. It has a close to blue/purple interior and is in horrible. Also there is a old tuner I'm hoping came with the guitar when purchased new. I will post pictures and reply to other messages tonight.

So I do have the original case I THINK. It is an old black "Aligator skin" case. It is made of what seems like paper. It has a close to blue/purple interior and is in horrible. Also there is a old tuner I'm hoping came with the guitar when purchased new. I will post pictures and reply to other messages tonight.

That probably is the original case. Cases were optional back then, and this was an inexpensive guitar. The cardboard cases like yours were the cheap option. You shouldn't use that case for protection, but don't throw it away unless it is moldy. Believe it or not, an original case like that is a plus when the time comes to pass the guitar on.

Get a really good case for it. TKL (I believe) made repro redline cases for modern Gibson L-00's. They are reproductions of the high-end case from the 1930's. Not sure where you could get one, but it would be worth the search.

Here's the Harptone Redline Case (web photo), most likely worth every penny:

iqZolU6.png?1

https://www.guitargal.com/products/harptone-1930-redline-dreadnought-guitar-case

Except for the covers over the hinges on the inside of the case, this looks exactly like the redline case that came with my L-00 Legend. Is it possible that Gibson included a $700 case with the Legend series guitars?

You guys are waaay overkill on the case, unless you're gigging and tossing it around.

A nice guitar deserves a nice case. The typical stock Gibson TKL case is ok, but pretty basic. The Redline and Cali Girl cases are really nice. I don't toss either of those around, which is probably better for the guitars inside.

Archived