Gibson Brands Forums

A Sad But True Cutting Corners Tale

Bluesy69

I had a 2009 SG that had the PCB setup and to be honest I couldn't hear a lick of difference from the standard wiring... [confused]

That's the same experience I had with a friend's LP Classic. He asked me to change his PCB to traditional wiring and we both couldn't hear any significant difference. Not claiming that he or I have outstanding hearing, but to our ears it didn't make a difference.

Hi @pauloqs,

This OP had this doozy of an 11-page thread about a couple years back:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/138435-3-strikes-your-out-prs-blows-you-away-gibson/page__p__1869526__hl__prs__fromsearch__1#entry1869526

I knew when I saw this OP and the title, it was going to be good msp_lol.gif When I first joined this forum, this was the thread that took center stage so to speak. I like to think of it as a first impression in the USA section of the forum.

Oh dear, not that moron again. Trolls are so cute.

To me the most important difference is repairs. If something goes wrong with traditional wiring, it's fairly easy and inexpensive to diagnose and fix, and parts are readily available.

That's the main advantage of traditional wiring I see as well.

• Upvote 1

...and break...

Mais non mon vieux! [biggrin] [biggrin]

Well not so far...in well over 30 years - but then it has tapewounds which I don't change for years anyway.

I'm careful with any archtop.

Good thread BTW [thumbup]

Edited by jdgm

Granted the neck thickness is very thin the more back angle you have, but I'm not so certain the number of broken Headstocks that Ed Roman claims there are as founded.

If I rearend a car at 10mph I'm surely going to sustain some sort of car damage.

Same thing with your guitar,

If it whacks a wall or floor, or you fall off stage, there's a chance of damage to any guitar.

Edited by Eracer_Team

The thing that's not too good about the pcb wiring in the new LP standards is that the board is wired fifties style with treble bleeds. I don't remember if the treble bleeds can be switched out. So if you want regular old sixties wiring there's no way you can get that without replacing the board. At some point they're going to try to sell Sixties Tributes with fifties wiring and I'm not sure that's going to fly. Somebody at Gibson decided that fifties wiring was the way it was going to be, back when they were jamming everything down the customers' throats. They probably ought to reevaluate that along with all the other megalomaniacal decisions that they made a few years ago. I think they'd need another dip switch in there to switch between 50's & 60's wiring.

Anyway, my info is that they are really changing stuff quickly. Let's hope they have the sense to restructure the model lines so they're not trying to sell you stuff you don't want. Like my 2019 Les Paul, that I had to rewire so it would be wired like a normal Les Paul. Something's not right with that.

... I'm the worst solderer east of Japan..... They call me Mt. McSolder in the lab

I think that may be your problem. There in "SoCal", you are actually WEST of Japan. That being said, I recently saw the 2018 consolidated solder rankings for WORST SOLDER and I was number one, with YOU being only a distant second...

[scared]

He probably actually went and done some reading and realised just how utterly WRONG he is about everything.. Mid life crisis maybe?

Did obviously being WRONG in the past stop him from stirring up a hornets nest? I think it's a medication issue myself.

Did obviously being WRONG in the past stop him from stirring up a hornets nest? I think it's a medication issue myself.

Maybe.. I just wanted to make sure that I stated just how WRONG he was (is)...

:D

Edited by Rabs
  • Upvote 1