Gibson Brands Forums

Carl Perkins...Happy 87th!

G Mac

Well, today, Carl Perkins would have been 87 years old. I'm too young to have been around during his heyday period in the mid to late 1950's (not by much though!). I know his music primarily from the covers that the Beatles did. He was/is known as the King of Rockabilly and, listening to him, one can see/hear why. Like all originators of particular styles or techniques, his kingship can be debated but, not his contribution to the music that we all know and love. I leave you with the song that introduced me to Carl via the Beatles. As always, I hope you enjoy it!

Dig it, man!

In spite of the "helmet hair", Carl was the king of rockabilly before it was rockabilly LOL. Speaking of his influence on the Beatles, here's a clip of Harrison just having a good time playing along with one of his idol's duplicating the solo from "That's all right" (at about the one minure mark for those who can't wait)

In spite of the "helmet hair", Carl was the king of rockabilly before it was rockabilly LOL. Speaking of his influence on the Beatles, here's a clip of Harrison just having a good time playing along with one of his idol's duplicating the solo from "That's all right" (at about the one minure mark for those who can't wait)

Wow, man! That's great! Thank You, Dennis G! Into the favorites...Pop!

I was lucky enough to see Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis at Chino Downs (Horse Chariot Racing Track) back in the early 80's..... Great show [thumbup]

Is that an ES-330 in the picture on Dear Prudence? Nice job regardless!

My favorite Carl Perkins song is Cat Clothes, which was considered a bit to racy to release as a single back in the day. In finally came to light in later compilations of his work.

Great guitar by Carl, with Jerry Lee Lewis playing piano.

Archived