Gibson Brands Forums

NGD...

sbpark

I apologize For this not being a Gibson NGD, but I included a couple Gibson’s in the pictures to make up for it.

A few weeks ago I picked up a brand new D-18 Standard. I have to say that this thing is the best “all-arounder” I’ve ever owned. Of course you can play any guitar for any style, and there are no hard and fast rules, but I tend to favor my J45 for e singer/songwriter type stuff and my AJ for flat picking. The J45 doesn’t really cut if for me with the shorter scale and lighter gauge strings for playing fiddle tunes, and the AJ is such a beast it can be a bit much for the quieter stuff. The D-18 pretty much sits somewhere right between the two and does everything equally well. The J45 still has the low end growl that no other guitar can touch, and the AJ cuts like a knife, but man, this D-18 is such a sweet guitar. Of course it’s voiced differently than the Gibsons. All three sound different, and I can’t say that one sounds better than the other, just different.

J45’s and D-18’s are always being compared, which has always surprised me. Sure, both have spruce tops and mahogany back and sides, but the difference in body shape, scale length,, and the difference in string gauge (although you can string either with whatever gauge you want) along with different body shapes, etc. make them very, very different from each other. (For what it's worth I’ve found J45’s sound better with 12’s and Martin dreads sound better with 13’s). The D-18 is also a “bigger” sounding guitar for sure, but that doesn’t mean the J45 is inferior, just a slightly different tool for a slightly different job. I’m just happy I’m fortunate enough to own one of each as they really are VERY different from each other and compliment each other.

ryjYQcm.jpg?1

WNUZ72w.jpg?1

Edited by sbpark

Congrats! The only time I came within a hair of buying a new guitar was around 1970. It was a Martin D-18. If I recall brand spanking new they ran around $300. Last year though my wife bought a new Martin D12-28 so made up for my error.

Edited by zombywoof

Congrats on the new D18!

The D18 was the first standard Martin to be 'updated' a few years back from the previous style Martin D18 - the updating being such a roaring success that most Standard series Martins have now gone through the 'reimagining' process....

Mine is the D18e Retro with inbuilt Aura system - came out at the same time as the new D18 but has slightly wider neck and bridge spacing. The pickup system is a killer plugged direct to a mixer/PA. Pictured here with my Martin HD28V:

sRnv4n8l.jpg

BluesKing777.

• Upvote 1

If I was going to buy a new guitar, it would be the contemporary D18 like yours. Exceptional instruments. I had a 2007 pre-facelift D18 which wasn't, but the post-2012 model is glorious. Stick a K&K in that and you can do anything. I favour soundhole pups for my Gibsons, but a K&K is a great fit with a Mahogany Martin.

• 2 weeks later...