Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
duane v

Guitarist that receive very little recognition.

I gotta start with Berton Averre of the Knack..... That guy is just brilliant and it appears he is rarely brought up.

ME - I've worked my butt off at it for over 50 years and nobody knows who I am [crying]

Seriously though a guy named Doug Yankus, in a band called Soup out of Appleton, Wisconsin, was the best I ever heard. He died quite a few years ago from complications of diabetes. He was incredibly talented, only made two albums and his chops didn't shine through on them as well as a live performance. (record producer trying to commercialize the raw sound) Hendrix heard him play once and was blown away (as the story goes).

He would play and you'd think "that sounded just like Jeff Beck" next song "that sounded just like Clapton, or Page, or Santana" and on and on it went. He could do them all plus his own original style. Fabulous drummer and bass player in support. RIP Doug.

Reggie Boyd was a session man for Chess Records (among others) in 1950s and 60s Chicago.

A tremendous player, hear him on Jimmy Rogers' "Rock This House".

Buck Dharma

You beat me to it.

Donald Roeser is one of my favorite guitarists.

I love his solos.

He IS BOC!

Reggie Boyd was a session man for Chess Records (among others) in 1950s and 60s Chicago.

A tremendous player, hear him on Jimmy Rogers' "Rock This House".

This is yet another time when you posted something that I immediately MUST learn how to play. Unfortunately I sliced my left middle fingertip pretty deeply the other night and probably have about 2 weeks before I can play again. Hopefully I remember by then!

People think Zappa is just clown, but not so much on the guitar.

So right. FZ was probably the biggest influence in wanting to learn to play guitar.

Saw some names I'd agree with. Duane started with Berton Averre. Love his stuff on Get The Knack, but I have no idea what he ever did after that album. Karloff beat me to Buck Dharma.

I'll see Zigzag's pick of Drew Zing and raise you to Jon Herington. cool.gif Another one I would add is Elliot Easton.

Great topic, duane v! I agree with Buck Dharma and Elliot Easton. I never heard Reggie Boyd before (now I know he rips/ripped) but, Jimmy Rogers was a genius of understatement and a hell of a nice guy! As far as my own picks, I'd have to put in for Adrian Belew and Trevor Rabin. Also, how about Melvin Taylor? Whew, so many great guitarists out there!

An edit: I also thought of Chalmer "Spanky" Alford and Jubu Smith...

Edited by G Mac

Billy Bremner who played for Dave Edmunds in Rockpile.

Glenn Tilbrook who, in addition to carrying out 'lead guitar' duties, wrote most of the melody-lines for the band Squeeze.

Pip.

Edited by pippy

Glenn Tilbrook is indeed a fine musician and guitarist....

Ian Broudie….Lightning Seeds and other activities....

Bert Weedon....so good he was often lampooned by lesser folk.....session man and BBC feature guitarist.....creator of 'A Tune in a Day'....inspiration to millions of young aspiring guitarists, including Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Brian May....

John Lennon is often overlooked..... a powerhouse rhythm player and creator of many memorable riffs and phrases....

Many more which might spring to mind.....[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Mick Box of Uriah Heep.

Steve Hillage was a very interesting player during his solo 'Fish Rising' and 'L' (i.e. post-Gong) phase.

Jan Akkerman is someone else whose name isn't mentioned nearly as frequently as he deserves these days.

...Glenn Tilbrook is indeed a fine musician and guitarist....

Glad you think so, too, V.

The Difford / Tilbrook writing partnership might not be quite as well-known as Lennon & McCartney or Simon & Garfunkel but their songs are more frequently aired Chez Moi......msp_biggrin.gif......

Pip.

Edited by pippy

One guy nobody mentions is Kenny Vaughn, a MASTER of the Telecaster. I have seen him play incredibly awesome stuff with a totally deadpan face. Truly a "pencil necked geek" done good. :)

Edited by Tekboy

Bill Harkleroad

Zoot! Yes indeed.....

And -

Jim Mullen, Scotland's finest jazz master.

David Creamer, obscure SF guitarist who is on the last half of side 2 of Miles Davis' "On The Corner".

Edited by jdgm