Gibson Brands Forums

Guitarist that receive very little recognition.

duane v

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hows bout Martin Barr (Jethro Tull).

Yes!......msp_thumbup.gif......

He is another player who was well-known over on these shores by folks like me back in the day but is hardly ever mentioned in these more modern times.

Superb taste and touch and a tone to die for whether he played his 'burst or his Hamer.

Pip.

Snowy White anyone?

I first came across his name around 40 years ago when he played much of the (better) stuff on Peter Green's "In the Skies".

He's since done a great deal of his own material but that is always overshadowed by his work with Roger Waters.

Pip.

Snowy White anyone?

I first came across his name around 40 years ago when he played much of the (better) stuff on Peter Green's "In the Skies".

He's since done a great deal of his own material but that is always overshadowed by his work with Roger Waters.

Pip.

YEP! I know how you speak.. he was on a few Winter Solstice compilations that Windham Hill Records usually publishes in Autumn.

Yes!......msp_thumbup.gif......

He is another player who was well-known over on these shores by folks like me back in the day but is hardly ever mentioned in these more modern times.

Superb taste and touch and a tone to die for whether he played his 'burst or his Hamer.

Pip.

Agreed. I was listening to Aqualung one day on an iPod with headphones as I was doing some yard clean up. Having heard this album a bazillion times, but I don't think ever with a good set of ear cans.

His guitar work on that album alone was simply brilliant. A few years ago he shared the stage for a jam with Joe Bonamassa, I'm not quite sure that came to be, (Joe will play with any one tho) Martin's still got it.

Mick Box of Uriah Heep.

Steve Hillage was a very interesting player during his solo 'Fish Rising' and 'L' (i.e. post-Gong) phase.

Jan Akkerman is someone else whose name isn't mentioned nearly as frequently as he deserves these days.

Glad you think so, too, V.

The Difford / Tilbrook writing partnership might not be quite as well-known as Lennon & McCartney or Simon & Garfunkel but their songs are more frequently aired Chez Moi......msp_biggrin.gif......

Pip.

Mick Box ! yes

... and Skunk Baxter. However, he does get a lot of recognition from the Pentagon.

Jeff's work with Steely Dan was great; not to mention his fine playing with that little known group, The Eagles

Hows bout Martin Barr (Jethro Tull).

He's fantastic! Gruhn had his '50's Les Paul for sale last year with a letter from Martin detialing all the recordings he had used it on (which includes the aforementioned "Aqualung" album). I'm pretty sure it sold for only $40,000.-! That's actually pretty cheap considering what it is...I see lesser player's guitars go for much more.

This thread has certainly given us all a lot of new music/guitarists to hear! Yay!

Agreed. I was listening to Aqualung one day on an iPod with headphones as I was doing some yard clean up. Having heard this album a bazillion times, but I don't think ever with a good set of ear cans.

His guitar work on that album alone was simply brilliant. A few years ago he shared the stage for a jam with Joe Bonamassa, I'm not quite sure that came to be, (Joe will play with any one tho) Martin's still got it.

Which parts are played by Ian and which by Martin? Is Martin doing all of the electric?

I had always been under the assumption that Ian was the main writer, including most of the guitar parts

I downloaded Aqualung on Apple Music and the version there includes an interview with Ian Anderson in which he expressed his dissatisfaction with the sound of Aqualung. I think the arrangement and writing is brilliant, but you can definitely hear that the tracks have been heavily EQ’d. Makes me wonder how much of that cocked wah sound on the electric was present in the room and how much was added later to help it cut

You guys have named quite a few that first come to mind (Buck Dharma, Robbie Blunt, Lennon, et al).

But how about Pat Travers? Maybe Pat Thrall too ... but this entry is for Travers.

(Left: Travers; right: Thrall)

Travers%2B1.jpg

To be honest, I don't think Pat falls in this category. The man is a legend... understated... maybe. He falls in a different category IMHO.

Billy Strange (his real name) ! Hands down the most recorded guitarist that no one remembers .

He was a member of The Wrecking Crew, an arranger for Sinatra, both of them, you hear him playing on Bang Bang, he played the guitar lead on Rambling Rose for Nat King Cole, the 12 string on The Beach Boys Slope John B, and the lead in Surf City, as well as many country western hit that were recorded with The Crew, If you ever heard Jan and Dean you heard Billy.Billy did a lot of work with Elvis, and his famous twang was heard on many Phil Spector productions,He may be one of the most influential player nobody ever heard of two when you include his work in film and TV.At 3:15 he starts his solo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5TpingPHqLw

To be honest, I don't think Pat falls in this category. The man is a legend... understated... maybe. He falls in a different category IMHO.

He just seems like one who I often mention to other guitar players, and they go "who?". They all know Michael Schenker and Rory Gallagher, but Travers does not seem to be there. That is just my perception, though. You are probably right...

Interesting to compare the many thousands of session and studio players who often work for wages with no credit or recognition

With the relatively rare session men/women who sought fame and fortune

Jimmy Page

John Paul Jones

Glen Campbell

Chet Atkins

John McLaughlin

Also the great musician and personality Carol Kaye from the Wrecking Crew....making a huge contribution to the popular musical landscape....

V

:-({|=

I enjoy Snortin Whiskey and Drankin Co Cain. Sometimes.

Delete some private messages bro. Folks tryin to reach you.

rct

Steuart Smith, currently working with The Eagles. Back in the 1980's when he was playing for Rodney Crowell, he was also on Roseanne Cash's music. When they split up, my songwriting partner and I were making jokes about who would get custody of the guitar player, because he was so good, and so smooth. Turns out Don Henley got custody of him, I guess. :)

Archived