Gibson Brands Forums

Dark Fire Headstock

Liystalander

It must be a full time job maintaining all these great instruments and keeping them tuned!

And you must have a very accurate weather control system* to prevent all this woodwork from behaving?

Do you have some Myspace where we can listen to these with you playing them?

* Could it be California weather?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MCK and Ulhuru,

You guys are so much fun, with such great senses of humor (and common sense as well)! I wish you were here to communicate with personally! I did forget a Martin Backpacker nylon string (early issue), and a traditional mountain dulcimer of unknown parentage, but nice and mellow (spruce top, walnut sides and back, with doubled high strings). A group photo might be problematic at the moment (it's raining), but the kitchen sink is easy; maybe I'll play it on YouTube, it should fit right in! Actually, I have a very accomplished sink player nearby who'll *really* wow 'em! And you're right, Ulhuru, California weather is the ultimate humidity control system (38-44% all the time in my house)! Bless you both, and thank you!!!

I had the feeling I loved California :-)

And you just confirmed it. I used to stick with all graphite Steinbergers, as it was to me the only way to stay in tune and cope with the Swiss Alps weather swings. Though I also have an old acoustic from the 50's (The Aristone) and one cold dry winter (following a wet fall) the neck just decided to live a life on its own and popped out of the joint altogether. I glued it back in place, just to show him who's the boss, but the poor thing is now rather unplayable...

We look forward to hearing / seeing you, your wooden friends and your kitchen sink on the net somewhere.

since we're already pretty off-topic... for those of us not in cali what would you recommend for keeping the dark fire in great condition? a small room humidifier? I leave it out of the case in the living room for now, NC can be pretty humid but i defnitely want to do everything necessary to make sure i'm taking care of the guitar. should i invest in a small humidifier to put in there too or will it be okay left out of the case? thanks for any advice you guys have, i appreciate you all sharing the knowledge

Out here in Tokyo we get very dry winters with as low as 30% humidity and humid summers with as high as 60-70%. Most vintage guitars I have seen in the shop seem to have highly crackled finishes. So far my DF seems to be doing well but I have the feeling the neck is developing increased relief. Maybe its my imagination.

Gibson, and most guitar techs, recommend about 40-44% humidity (that's what's maintained at the factory when made). Common advice is that if you're comfortable with the environment, your guitar will be too. Going from 30% to 70%, I'd guess your neck and truss rod will get quite a workout (easily adjusted), but that doesn't solve the overall problems affecting the instrument. Crackled finishes are generally the result of rapid temperature change (hot car trunk to air-conditioned building, or vice versa); cracks, splits, gaps, separations, changing neck relief, result from large humidity change. Protect accordingly.

It will last much longer if you

* keep it in the case with the Silica Gel bag when not playing

* keep it out of direct sunlight - inside the case stored in a closet is best

* restrict the exposure to extreme temperature extremes, and moisture variations ( attic, Basement, garden shed )

How to Damage your guitar

* Keep it in the unheated, un-airconditioned trunk of your car - then rapidly bring it into a temperature controlled living space and open the case. (this will crack the paint)

*Keeping it on a stand - the contact points will eventually damage the nitrocellulose finish

*Keeping it on a stand where pets, kids, toy airplanes. balls, frizbees, earthquakes may knock it down and damage the headstock (the most fragile area on the Dark Fire)

thank you so much for all of that info... i didn't even know i was doing anything that could harm the guitar. i'll be storing them in their cases from now on. although, i think i need to buy a new gel bag... not sure what i did with it. thanks again

boardusmcer,

Either way is fine. My greatest fear in California is earthquakes. When I'm at home, whatever I'm playing lives in a stand (the kind supported by the neck with the automatic locking top, maker is Hercules); when I leave the house, everything goes in its case.

Archived