Gibson Brands Forums

fingerpicks

merciful-evans

I don't use them, but have tried several over the years (I do use thumbpicks). I dont get along with Alaska ones.

I'd like to try out some more again. Recommendations anyone?

There are a few types now that look strange and unfamiliar like these

61GshJbgTSL._SL1001_.jpg

I have no idea what those would be like!

I have tried every fingerpick under the sun over the past 55 years. And yeah, I have tried those Butterfly picks or whatever they call them. I ended up having to wrap rubber bands around them to keep them on and now they sit in a box with all of the others I have discarded. About the best I have found are the Propik Freedom Tone and the Alaska Piks the tips of both which sit under your nails.

There is one pick though which is fairly new to the market which I have not yet tried.. They are called Perfect Touch. They were supposedly invented by a player who also could never make peace with a fingerpick. They do look interesting. I am figuring they might be worth a try but just have not gotten around to ordering a set yet.

https://www.perfecttouchpicks.com/

• Like 1

I have tried many different types of fingerpicks- most were used only a few minutes. The pic you posted is one of the sets that i have tried. I even have a $40 (!?) Blue Chip thumbpick i bought 4 or 5 years ago with less than 15 minutes of play on it. As with strings, i find that recommendations helped me discover items previously unknown to me, but buying and trying is the only way to know for sure. My pick (insert rimshot here) is Dunlop clear plastic finger and thumb picks, fashioned to perfectly fit each tip. Best wishes on your search.

KvlhHxP.jpg

• Upvote 1

You don't like to, well, fingerpick with just your fingers?

I second this, although you sacrifice volume I can still get what I need (especially w/ a mic or p'up). I feel it's just plain easier to stick with the fingers (not long fingernails either). Probably lots of reasons why this doesn't work, but I say simpler is better...

I’ve been using a clear pointy Dunlop thumbpick and three metal Dunlop fingerpicks (.20, .20, .25 sizes) for years and years. The three metal fingerpicks can be shaped to one’s fingers and their angle to the strings can also be shaped.

(Note: The fingerpicks are worn so their picking part is on the opposite side of the nail.). I have been wearing this combination so long, I do not even notice they are on my fingers and thumb.

Just my experience.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1

By the way, John Pearce has issued a second run of his copies of the National "Old White" thumbpicks. The JP picks were almost impossible to get over the past years as the first run sold out fairly quickly. It is good to see them back in production.

Edited by zombywoof

I second this, although you sacrifice volume I can still get what I need (especially w/ a mic or p'up). I feel it's just plain easier to stick with the fingers (not long fingernails either). Probably lots of reasons why this doesn't work, but I say simpler is better...

I third it. Have preferred my own nails since it all began.

You don't like to, well, fingerpick with just your fingers?

Most of the time I have to, because my nails break easily. My nails get worse the older I get. I used to build them up with varnish and tissue paper, but it just occurred to me to try fingerpicks again. There are new ones out there.

I will try the Dunlop brass 20s and see how they feel. I have used the clear ones (but the pictured ones here look a different design).

Propik Freedom Tone is noted. Thanks. Someone on The Fretboard forum suggested these too.

The perfecttouch set would be the last option . They look interesting and great quality, but I wouldn't want to order the wrong size or type and have to re-order more at $50 a set.

Thanks for the responses guys. Very helpful!

I have tried every fingerpick under the sun over the past 55 years. And yeah, I have tried those Butterfly picks or whatever they call them. I ended up having to wrap rubber bands around them to keep them on and now they sit in a box with all of the others I have discarded. About the best I have found are the Propik Freedom Tone and the Alaska Piks the tips of both which sit under your nails.

There is one pick though which is fairly new to the market which I have not yet tried.. They are called Perfect Touch. They were supposedly invented by a player who also could never make peace with a fingerpick. They do look interesting. I am figuring they might be worth a try but just have not gotten around to ordering a set yet.

https://www.perfecttouchpicks.com/

We have a similar story, but for more than 60 years. Lord knows how many different styles I have tried -- I use them on guitar and banjo both.

I started out in the early 60s strumming with a flat pick and finger picking bare handed. Later we went over entirely to totally acoustic music, and for many such applications bare fingers were not good enough. I started using banjo style finger picks on the guitar.

I never gave up bare finger style -- we have a lot of pre war jewels that fit that approach. But for strong traditional stuff, that style gets buried. You can always plug in or play into a mic -- but that styles has no interest for us. It is not the same music.

Here is what I mostly use now.

411JUF-7e%2BL.jpg

john-pearse-hi-rider-finger-picks-hr-1.gif

You can get cheap acceptable versions of this from China if you can wait a week or two.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Edited by tpbiii

I would love to learn to chicken pick. I know some guys who are great at it. It should be a natural for me as for whatever reason I use my middle finger a whole lot more than my first finger which theoretically frees that finger up to grasp a flatpick. But it just confuses me.

Most of the time I have to, because my nails break easily. My nails get worse the older I get. I used to build them up with varnish and tissue paper, but it just occurred to me to try fingerpicks again. There are new ones out there.

Could you play with just your fingertips, not even your nails - or would that still bother them?

I would love to learn to chicken pick. I know some guys who are great at it. It should be a natural for me as for whatever reason I use my middle finger a whole lot more than my first finger which theoretically frees that finger up to grasp a flatpick. But it just confuses me.

I can't quite make it happen. I can flat pick using the bumblebee if I leave the index free -- I have to hold it with the thumb and index to feel right. Then I can do 1 finger style with thumb with middle -- a lot of famous players did that. Both styles are ok -- but nether is as good as if the other wasn't there.

Maybe later.

Best,

-Tom

Over the years I've tried numerous times to get used to fingerpicks, but after maybe a couple of days of using them and not using them, I give-up and return to just using my fingertips/nails. I've always used a thumbpick, but fingerpicks (and I've tried pretty much all of them) just don't feel right on my fingers. With fingerpicks, I don't know where my fingers are. Without them I know where my fingers are and can grab whatever string I need. Chances are I never give using them enough time, but i just don't have the patience. Anyway, I do kind of envy folks who are great with fingerpicks.........except for banjo players. Banjos are already too loud.

• Upvote 2

Personal journey started with fingers on nylon strings

Plectrum and fingers on Gibson SG

Fingers on steel strung 6 and 12 string acoustics.....:blink:

Currently settled on fingers on nylon strings....thumb pick and 3rd finger pick on 6 and 12 string acoustics

Dunlop white and clear plastic L thumb pick plus same finger pick

For some guitars and banjo with closer string to body spacing I file the thumb pick down to avoid hitting the top/vellum....

Pick Wisely and Often....:-({|=

V

:-({|=

Personal journey started with fingers on nylon strings

Plectrum and fingers on Gibson SG

Fingers on steel strung 6 and 12 string acoustics.....:blink:

Currently settled on fingers on nylon strings....thumb pick and 3rd finger pick on 6 and 12 string acoustics

Dunlop white and clear plastic L thumb pick plus same finger pick

For some guitars and banjo with closer string to body spacing I file the thumb pick down to avoid hitting the top/vellum....

Pick Wisely and Often....:-({|=

V

:-({|=

Yes, I would only ever use bare fingers on nylon.

It really the steel strung flat top I'm considering for this. I use all 4 fingers to pick with.

As a longtime user of Dunlop thumbpicks and fingerpicks, I thought it worthwhile to mention out respect that the founder of Dunlop products, Jim Dunlop passed away earlier this year.

His influence on my guitar playing as well as many others’ through his products was significant. May his memory be a blessing.

I learned of it through Vintage Guitar Magazine.

Just thought it appropriate to mention.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1

Don't waste your money on these. I can tell you from first hand experience. I thought I'd try them and they totally suck. I'd offer to send them to you but I was so disgusted with wasting the 20 bucks on them that I tossed em out.

they come sized to fit a child. and after you try to adjust them to fit, they tend get all messed up, but after you finally make them fit, you find, they are garbage. Waste of time and money.

use what the good lord gave ya..

your fingers...

Over the years I've tried numerous times to get used to fingerpicks, but after maybe a couple of days of using them and not using them, I give-up and return to just using my fingertips/nails. I've always used a thumbpick, but fingerpicks (and I've tried pretty much all of them) just don't feel right on my fingers. With fingerpicks, I don't know where my fingers are. Without them I know where my fingers are and can grab whatever string I need. Chances are I never give using them enough time, but i just don't have the patience. Anyway, I do kind of envy folks who are great with fingerpicks.........except for banjo players. Banjos are already too loud.

So I guess this would not be you idea of heaven? Maybe the other place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFYTsnK_9u4

msp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

Best,-Tom

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I used to play in an acoustic thing with two other guitarists, and it is, by far the best band I ever played with. One of those two guys would hold a pick between his middle and ring fingers, and finger pick at the same time, to much positive reaction from anyone listening. While the group was basically focused on vocal harmony, that guy sure could play.

• Like 1

I’ve been using a clear pointy Dunlop thumbpick and three metal Dunlop fingerpicks (.20, .20, .25 sizes) for years and years. The three metal fingerpicks can be shaped to one’s fingers and their angle to the strings can also be shaped.

(Note: The fingerpicks are worn so their picking part is on the opposite side of the nail.). I have been wearing this combination so long, I do not even notice they are on my fingers and thumb.

Just my experience.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Ditto, except I round off the tip of the thumb pick.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

It may be bad form to reply to an old thread - but I know it can also be bad form to start a new one on the same topic...

...I've tried various fingerpicks and thumbpicks. I want to like them as I would like the option of a louder and different sound, but I can't take to them.

I actually get some comfort from reading much more experienced and far better guitarists than me say the same.

One thing that hasn't come up on this thread is fake nails. Always an option, and utilised by James Taylor. 

Edited by TomG76

I use National picks. Golden Gate makes even better thumb picks I think.  Plastic for thumb which can be shaped in very hot water and metal for fingers which can be shaped with two needle nose pliers.  Tweak a few times. Keep track of which one goes with which finger.  I tried them for years, never got anywhere until a year ago when I committed to using them on the 5 string. Uncomfortable at first. Re-shaped the first dozen times I sat down.  Then got use to them and would not go back.   But I use bare fingers still for the 6 stringers.  You really have to want to do it to get over the strangeness of the feel and the distance between finger tip and pick tip.  

• Like 1