Gibson Brands Forums

fingerpicks

merciful-evans

I have used fingerpicks and a thumb pick since I was about ten years old.  The majority of the time I used a clear plastic Dunlop thumb pick and  three Dunlop metal finger picks, although in the past year I switched to three Dunlop clear plastic fingerpicks with the clear Dunlop thumb pick.  The reason for the fingerpick change was I finally figured out how to shape plastic fingerpicks to custom conform to my fingers the same way metal fingerpicks can be custom shaped to my fingers because their metal holds their shape once they’re bent.  My solution with plastic fingerpicks was to simply microwave each pick for 15-20 seconds and then put one on at a time and while it’s still hot, shape it to my finger (as well as bend the angle to my preference.). It’s a bit hot on a finger when shaping it, but once it cools (and it cools quite quickly) it’s totally permanently shaped to my finger and preferred angle for each finger. Even when I played a few outdoor gigs this autumn, their shape held during 40-45 degree weather (unlike the way my metal fingerpicks would do in that weather as my fingers would shrink in the cold, but the metal didn’t, cause me to have to rebend my metal picks.  Apparently, the cold weather’s effect on a plastic finger pick is the same as on my fingers...or somethin’.)  I found no effect from hot weather on the plastic fingerpicks.  They also held in shape from microwave bending them in April through the entire summer when I played gigs outside in the heat into autumn gigs in the colder weather.

Now...am I an advocate of thumb picks and fingerpicks vs. no picks or flat picks?  No.  I’ve learned that my preference for use of thumb and fingerpicks is based on habit and from habit, comfort in playing that way occurs.  Those who play without picks get comfortable that way over time and those who play with a thumb and fingerpicks get comfortable that way.  Same with a flat pick.  Regarding use of a flat pick, I find when I occasionally use one just to get out of my fingerpicks comfort zone, I still play the exact same picking patterns and sounds with the flat pick as I do with my fingerpicks.  Except, I’m more comfortable from years of playing with fingerpicks that my preference is fingerpicks. (When I bluegrass flatpick with my thumb pick, My index fingerpick hold the thumb pick the same way I would hold a flat pick with my thumb and index finger...so the thumb pick just becomes a flatpick style wise.  

It’s all habit and comfort that comes with habit.  Just  my perspective.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1