Gibson Brands Forums

My Taylor recorded with just a shure SM57

bigtim

Hello everyone,

Recently I bought a new SM57 Shure mic the other day so I could start laying down some ideas with my new to me Taylor GS6. So, I made a little recording with it and I was really surprised at how nice it sounded. Now here is a link to it for you all to hear. Please do not be too critical about my acoustic playing since I am not used to playing one at all. I am primarily an electric player and am going to acoustic to take a different direction in my playing.

I recorded this with just the SM57 running straight into my interface with protools. There are no pre or post alterations on the main guitar track. It is as naturally recorded without any compression or EQ added to the mix. I made 3 tracks, One is the main Taylor GS6 track, then a little bass guitar and the lead was also done with the GS6 too. I did not do much lead at all but I did adjust a little EQ on the lead track to make it sound slightly different.

I wanted to add a pick up to my guitar at first. Mine is a pure acoustic guitar. My buddy at the studio told me just to try the SM57 and I am glad I did.

Here is the link if anyone want to check it out.

Again, I am not an acoustic player at all and am just learning to get around the fretboard on my new to me Taylor. If you take a listen to any of the other songs, those are old ones I am not so proud of anymore but I guess they are not too bad. But anyways, maybe some of you will find it interesting. Let me know your thoughts and thanks for listening if you decide to.

Very nice indeed....[thumbup]

Excellent playing and recording quality

I started using an audio-technica MB 2k last year on stage with acoustic banjo and ukulele.....a new and exciting alternative to 'plugged' everything.....

Also kept the mic on in front of my 'plugged' Taylor 354 12 string for an extra acoustic dimension

V

:-({|=

Wow, good stuff! I think the best sound you're going to get out of an acoustic will be mic'd, it's just if you can stay in one position enough to let the mic do it's job, and the Shure SM57 have more than proven their worth.

Good stuff... your slide into the land of acousticdom has officially begun.

The SM57 is seriously not doing the guitar any favors here. There is a noticeable buzzy sound in addition to the peaky freq response so the guitar never sounds smooth with that mic.

I think the guitar seems to sound great otherwise, and your playing is great. The guy telling you to buy an SM57 to record your nice acoustic is seriously clueless.

The SM57 is seriously not doing the guitar any favors here. There is a noticeable buzzy sound in addition to the peaky freq response so the guitar never sounds smooth with that mic.

I think the guitar seems to sound great otherwise, and your playing is great. The guy telling you to buy an SM57 to record your nice acoustic is seriously clueless.

Well what would be a better mix type or choice or is it a placement issue??

Very nice indeed....[thumbup]

Excellent playing and recording quality

I started using an audio-technica MB 2k last year on stage with acoustic banjo and ukulele.....a new and exciting alternative to 'plugged' everything.....

Also kept the mic on in front of my 'plugged' Taylor 354 12 string for an extra acoustic dimension

V

:-({|=

Thank you. I am having fun so far

Wow, good stuff! I think the best sound you're going to get out of an acoustic will be mic'd, it's just if you can stay in one position enough to let the mic do it's job, and the Shure SM57 have more than proven their worth.

Good stuff... your slide into the land of acousticdom has officially begun.

Thank you too!!

Well what would be a better mix type or choice or is it a placement issue??

Your placement and technique sounds good here, just the inherent grainy, peaky sound of the SM57 is not ideal for capturing a realistic sound of an acoustic instrument.

A condenser or ribbon would have a more realistic sound on acoustic, with ribbons generally being darker

A small diaphragm condenser is commonly used for acoustic guitar. I wouldn’t recommend the cheap MXL ones because they tend to sound extremely bright. But a used Oktava MK012 with cardioid cap can be found for around $100 and IMO would be a much better choice for acoustic

Your placement and technique sounds good here, just the inherent grainy, peaky sound of the SM57 is not ideal for capturing a realistic sound of an acoustic instrument.

A condenser or ribbon would have a more realistic sound on acoustic, with ribbons generally being darker

A small diaphragm condenser is commonly used for acoustic guitar. I wouldn’t recommend the cheap MXL ones because they tend to sound extremely bright. But a used Oktava MK012 with cardioid cap can be found for around $100 and IMO would be a much better choice for acoustic

I will keep this in mind. I like the idea of having some options. However I am going to keep on trucking with my current set up. I would like one of the voodoo ribbon mics somwtime as well. I heard some demos of that and I was impressed. Thanks for the input. I like keeping doors open for suggestions.

Good Stuff Tim..very nice. Thanks

Thank you

I am trying to improve my playing skills and instead of listening to Hendrix and ZZ Top like I have done most of my life....I am digging deeper into artist like Ricky Skaggs and Gordon Lightfoot and Glenn Campbell plus a few others. I never really paid much attention to that kind of stuff because when I was a kid learning how to play it did not sound fancy enough. The other artist who mainly play acoustic I never gave much credit to and let me tell you.....it is way tougher than it seems as I am sure many of you know already.

I will keep this in mind. I like the idea of having some options. However I am going to keep on trucking with my current set up. I would like one of the voodoo ribbon mics somwtime as well. I heard some demos of that and I was impressed. Thanks for the input. I like keeping doors open for suggestions.

Ribbons usually are particularly useful on acoustic if you’re trying to have the part sit further back in the mix or if you’re recording guitar and vocals at the same time, you can point the null of the ribbon towards your face so it will minimize vocals bleeding into the guitar track and vice versa

Ribbons usually are particularly useful on acoustic if you’re trying to have the part sit further back in the mix or if you’re recording guitar and vocals at the same time, you can point the null of the ribbon towards your face so it will minimize vocals bleeding into the guitar track and vice versa

I know they sound good. Like I said later depending on how deep I get into the microphone stuff and all I may invest in a ribbon style later on. I am not hearing much buzzing at all on my end in the track. But again I am not picking it apart. My goal is getting a good overall sound to build up a track.

I know they sound good. Like I said later depending on how deep I get into the microphone stuff and all I may invest in a ribbon style later on. I am not hearing much buzzing at all on my end in the track. But again I am not picking it apart. My goal is getting a good overall sound to build up a track.

Wasn’t trying to “sell” you on anything btw. Obviously it’s all inconsequential to me

The buzzing I’m talking about is not a hum or static type noise. The best way I can describe it is that there is a very fast choppy effect that it puts on the sound. If you stick at it and compare with better mics you will start to notice these things without even thinking about it

But I’m not trying to be condescending at all I think you’re doing really great and I’m sure you’re a better player than me but I just saw that you had received bad advice on the mic choose

Wasn’t trying to “sell” you on anything btw. Obviously it’s all inconsequential to me

The buzzing I’m talking about is not a hum or static type noise. The best way I can describe it is that there is a very fast choppy effect that it puts on the sound. If you stick at it and compare with better mics you will start to notice these things without even thinking about it

But I’m not trying to be condescending at all I think you’re doing really great and I’m sure you’re a better player than me but I just saw that you had received bad advice on the mic choose

Oh do not worry no offense taking and I really like reasonable advice because I had no idea where to even start. But believe me I will upgrade one day. Also will be farting ariund with mic placement. It is a new thing and kind of like starting over kind of on guitar. Because I cannot play anything on this acoustic like I am able to on an electric. Not saying I am all that great of a player by any means.

....I just saw that you had received bad advice on the mic choose....

I've heard that mic recommended a number of times. Well, yeah, mainly for guys just getting into mic recording who don't want to spend a bundle, which you can do on a good mic.

Archived