Gibson Brands Forums

Selling Guitar With Neck Repair

Mike_L

Hello All,

I'm looking to sell my 2014 ES-355. The neck cracked (small) during shipping, which I had the professionally repaired in Osaka ( where I was living at the time). The guitar is in excellent condition with light player wear. There is no hint of it ever having a cracked neck, nor the repair performed. It would be easy to just list without mention of the repair, but I won't allow myself to do so.

My question to you all is how much depreciation should I mark down my selling price?

Sorry to say but once you advertise it as cracked neck pro repaired, 99% of potential buyers will immediately go back to looking at that guitar without a cracked neck pro repaired. The 1% not bothered by it aren't bothered by it because they buy such guitars super duper cheap.

To be fair, "depreciation" is normal wear and tear over the course of a financing period. This guitar is, well, broken, not depreciated.

Good luck with it. It is good of you to advertise it as it is, hopefully someone that wants one and doesn't mind will come along quickly.

rct

If you list it and be honest about its condition, see what you’ll get back. If you’re happy with the offer then there you go, guitar sold. Show pictures and all that. A broken guitar isn’t worth a lot of people’s time so if they buy it and it cracks again they’d be pretty mad I think. Someone buying that has to know the risk they’re taking I guess. Taking your word on professionally repaired and willing to fork over something you like in terms of compensation. Overall if you’re comfortable selling it as a repaired guitar that’s worth the price give it a shot and see what you come up with. Do some research on the prices of the same guitar of different conditions and see what will attract a buyer at the right price. Good luck with everything.

I remember this guitar - the belly flop drop.

I'd take a look at what they're selling for and figure 60% of that would be realistic.

I’d be one of the 1% that isn’t scared off by a repair, but I’d want a deal.

Even 60% would still be out of my price range... [drool]

This was a Martin D28 which showed up in an incredibly poorly packed, home made cardboard "box".

The guy took a couple of boxes, broke them down and wrapped them around the case.

When I changed the strings the neck tension was released and this crack appeared.

I wrote to both Martin and to one of their old service managers and they both said the same thing:

The guitar dropped from a height and did a belly flop, do NOT loosen the strings as the head stock will snap off as the string tension is what's holding it together and yes, it can be repaired by loosening the strings a little bit at a time and injecting glue into the crack and then tightening the strings to clamp it together.

eBay backed me up, I got a refund and purchased an HD-28V in person so there was a happy ending.

2EWXMXY.jpg

CD9EvmX.jpg

IMHO, I think you would get more out of it by keeping it. I don't know your reasons for selling it, but your feelings most likely will change and wish you never did. A 335 is an awesome guitar to have in your arsenal, and I would think the guitar is worth more to you than what you could sell it for.

Some pictures would really help. The rule of thumb around here seems to be that a Gibson with a headstock/neck break of any kind reduces the value by about a third to a half.

Agree 100% That's why I suggest on keeping it and enjoying it for many happy years.

IMHO, I think you would get more out of it by keeping it. I don't know your reasons for selling it, but your feelings most likely will change and wish you never did. A 335 is an awesome guitar to have in your arsenal, and I would think the guitar is worth more to you than what you could sell it for.

I will probably just hang on to it and donate to a music school when I'm gone. There's nothing wrong with it but I stumbled across a sweet deal on a 2009 -355 w/Bigsby. I don't need two.

Some pictures would really help. The rule of thumb around here seems to be that a Gibson with a headstock/neck break of any kind reduces the value by about a third to a half.

I can't find the repair thread with all the pics. I'll try to repost later today. Similar cracks and exact scenario described with the Martin in this thread.

As soon as I saw the pic I new it was a D-28 and died a little inside. Did not know you went through such an ordeal to get your HD-28V.

Yep the 335 is a broken guitar like rct said. I would run, but a select few will not. So do not expect to get anything close to what you want for it. Not sure if you can go back and get restitution from whoever shipped it. You were moving to Osaka at the time. You military?

Retired AF working for an airline. Based in Guam and commuted from Osaka. Living in 'Vegas and commuting to San Francisco now; and looking forward to moving back to Japan after retirement #2 \:D/

Retired AF working for an airline. Based in Guam and commuted from Osaka. Living in 'Vegas and commuting to San Francisco now; and looking forward to moving back to Japan after retirement #2 \:D/

I was Air Force too. Osaka's not a U.S. base is it?

Outstanding!

If you can't sell it for something reasonable, why not stick a Bigsby on the one that you have?

The neck break decreased the value so that would make it an ideal candidate for modification.

Hmmmm..... you may be onto something there. :-k

I was in the Navy and stationed in Yokosuka from '89 - '91. I would go back to Japan in half a heartbeat.

I used to fly into Japan a lot, even Iwakuni as Mike mentioned. I agree, I would love to go back. (Banana Lady)

Archived