Gibson Brands Forums

YouTube Took Down My Cover Video

drathbun

I've been doing videos of me playing covers of my favourite songs for years now. Yesterday, I received a notice from YouTube that they had taken down my video of me playing "Even in the Quietest Moments" on my Gibson Hummingbird 12 string due to a copyright takedown notice they received from "Evergreen Social Media Associates". I now have one copyright strike. If I get more, they will disable my account.

I don't get this. There are full videos of the ACTUAL TRACK FROM THE SUPERTRAMP ALBUM on YouTube as we speak. And my amateur attempt at playing the song the way I interpreted it with all of its mistakes and incorrect lyrics is copyright infringement?

My channel doesn't have enough subscribers to even qualify for advertising revenue! What happened to fair use? If I play this song at my next open mic will I have to start paying performance royalties?

Edit: I put the video up on Vimeo. We'll see how long it lasts there.

https://vimeo.com/331452293

Edited by drathbun

Have been thinking this will soon be the "new normal". The EU has some tough new copyright laws that make the website liable for any copyrighted material they host. I haven't taken the time to fully understand this, but it sounds like a major change.

Something you'll need to get used to Doug. They're going to be doing this to everyone who's done what you are doing.

There's a post some where in the lounge that has more information it's the upcoming norm.

found it: go here http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/146852-copyright-claims-its-getting-serious/page__p__1986394__fromsearch__1#entry1986394

there's more links to follow that go into deeper details. A broken system that just got more broken.

Some very interesting comments to be found in the links from that post. You'd do well to check it out and learn more about it.

I suspect you'll be seeing more of your fine works on YT getting deep sixed..

Edited by kidblast

As part of my vintage guitar demos I did maybe 10 years ago, I did a finger style rendition of the old gospel song NEARER MY GOD TO THEE. I got a message to decease from youtube from a copyright claim from a German company. I don't speak German, but even so it was clear that the song title in German was NEARER MY GOD TO THEE.

Well the song was copyrighted in the 18th century and thus clearly in the public domain. I wrote them back, gave them the data, and said they could be liable for attacking the public domain stuff. They went away and did not come back.

Our main repository is vimeo -- never had any issues there.

Best,

-Tom

This... right here. "You can't teach music without playing music." "Is Bruce Springsteen blocking videos? Of course not!"

I think I'll put my cover video back up on YouTube but not mention the name of the band or the wonderful artist that wrong the unnamed song and see what happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjxYTl2d7xg

I think I'll put my cover video back up on YouTube but not mention the name of the band or the wonderful artist that wrong the unnamed song and see what happens

Most likely the same thinig. YouTube evidently has pretty good algorithms for flagging copyrighted material. I'm a moderator on a video forum, and this has been going on for quite awhile but has gotten even more aggressive. They can flag you for copyright violations if there is just a radio playing somewhere in the background. I agree, Vimeo is better about this, but only if the video is private and you need a paid account (which I have) to really take advantage of that. But over the past year or so, a lot of wedding videographers are complaining about Vimeo banning them on some kind of "three strikes and you're out" policy.

If you really want more control, get your own web hosting plan and make your own site. Of course, then the copyright trolls will come after you personally. [crying]

Edited by Boyd

It looks like Supertramp covers are more susceptible to copyright strikes. No more Supertramp in my setlist or covers. (Trashes a month of work on a multitrack version of Even in the Quietest Moments).

Even in the quietest moments

They come for you

What you gonna do?

And even when the vid's for learning

They just take it down

I just feel the clown... dear

But still, you keep uploading

You give it another try

Well there's a lot of me got to go under

before I retry

Don't you let my vid disappear

Don't you let my vid disappear

Don't you let the song be leavin'

You are just creating more strife

Say what you please

Do what you please

Say what you please

Do what you please

Oh Roger don't go....

And even when the song is over

Where have I been?

Was it just a dream?

And even though your cause is selfish

Where do I begin?

Chuck it in the bin... dear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWzl0ffHayg

Hahahaha...

I think this happened once to me... I believe it was the Eagles. They are pretty intent bout dollar dallah bill y’all

From now on I’m just going to cover Dead tunes... they are chill.

LOL. I've got a couple of Eagles covers on YT with no problems.

Write a song. Get the people it takes to record it. Pay the studio, engineers, musicians. Tour it and promote it. Then watch some guy stream it, some advertisers advertise before and after it, and the internet provider take money for hosting it. While you get nothing.

I'm always amazed that "musicians" just don't understand why musicians want to get paid.

rct

• Upvote 1

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you supposed to pay a small fee if you are a major act and cover a song in concert. I heard or read it somewhere I think. Not sure if its true.

"Have your publisher call mine". Something like that, so yes, they are most of the time, in one way or another, "paying" each other. But that's a concert, a single occasion, one spin. Youtube is tens, maybe even hundreds of thousands of hits in a week.

rct

Write a song. Get the people it takes to record it. Pay the studio, engineers, musicians. Tour it and promote it. Then watch some guy stream it, some advertisers advertise before and after it, and the internet provider take money for hosting it. While you get nothing.

I'm always amazed that "musicians" just don't understand why musicians want to get paid.

rct

My channel isn't monetized. I get ZERO for my YouTube content. There are YouTube videos that play the ENTIRE Even in the Quietest Moments album.

Plus, I'm pretty sure Roger Hodgson will get nothing from the advertisements YouTube puts on my videos.

Plus, I have the EITQM album on vinyl, CD and Apple Music (as well as all the other Supertramp albums on vinyl, CD and Apple Music).

Following your logic rct, there would be nothing to share here either through MP3 or video but individuals personal compositions - nothing wrong with that, but I don't compose original material and have been playing cover songs for over 40 years. So I should stop sharing my personal performances because James Taylor is getting ripped off?

BTW, I learned how to play Fire and Rain by watching James Taylor show me step by step on his YouTube video.

My channel isn't monetized. I get ZERO for my YouTube content. There are YouTube videos that play the ENTIRE Even in the Quietest Moments album.

Plus, I'm pretty sure Roger Hodgson will get nothing from the advertisements YouTube puts on my videos.

Plus, I have the EITQM album on vinyl, CD and Apple Music (as well as all the other Supertramp albums on vinyl, CD and Apple Music).

Following your logic rct, there would be nothing to share here either through MP3 or video but individuals personal compositions - nothing wrong with that, but I don't compose original material and have been playing cover songs for over 40 years. So I should stop sharing my personal performances because James Taylor is getting ripped off?

BTW, I learned how to play Fire and Rain by watching James Taylor show me step by step on his YouTube video.

I understand. It doesn't matter what you get. What matters is that somebody is getting, and it isn't the artist. You are caught in the middle of a mess. The only way we do things in America is all or nothing. So, everybody can do whatever they want, which they have since the inception of the www, and pay nobody anything. Or nobody can do anything at all, which is starting to happen.

Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, all of them, all of the big internet providers want nothing to do with helping work out a scheme to pay the artists in a way that makes everybody happy, just like playing in a bar. The anger is all sadly directed at the wrong parties, as usual. The easiest thing for them to do is to slowly but surely just stop every copyrighted work from playing, and you are caught up in it all.

rct

• Upvote 1

I understand. It doesn't matter what you get. What matters is that somebody is getting, and it isn't the artist. You are caught in the middle of a mess. The only way we do things in America is all or nothing. So, everybody can do whatever they want, which they have since the inception of the www, and pay nobody anything. Or nobody can do anything at all, which is starting to happen.

Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, all of them, all of the big internet providers want nothing to do with helping work out a scheme to pay the artists in a way that makes everybody happy, just like playing in a bar. The anger is all sadly directed at the wrong parties, as usual. The easiest thing for them to do is to slowly but surely just stop every copyrighted work from playing, and you are caught up in it all.

rct

I get ya rct. Thanks.

I think "Writers" is the word.

The writer is the creator of the work.

And I tend to agree. We financed our first project over 20 years ago. We wrote the songs, paid for copyrights, BMI affiliation, paid for the studio time, engineers, female backup singers for one song, graphic guy for cover work, Disc Makers, Fedex, EVERYTHING ! We toured the Midwest for well over a year and eventually made money on the deal. When cdbaby bought the Underground Music Association we were swept up in that and they (with our permission) got us in on the digital distribution very early.

My youtube channel is all original music.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to see this Doug.

In my area, in the 60s/70s/80s the live music scene was huge. Just about every bar in the area had live music, as well as many of the restaurants with liquor licenses. Then ASCAP and BMI cracked down and by the end of the 90s the licensing and fees costs shrunk the live music scene and now it’s barely here. They were also enforcing fees at businesses playing recorded music. I was wondering when all the internet play was going to fall under tighter scrutiny/enforcement. Fair use is often overlooked in some of the recent Internet cases I’ve seen. Most folks don’t argue their case, they acquiesce and take down the challenged material.

Hoping it goes better for you.

I think "Writers" is the word.

The writer is the creator of the work.

Except, today it is the owner of the rights to the material, which is more often than not it seems not the writer. Record company, widow, brother-in-law, whacky investment firm that buys rights to music, all kinds of owners of rights. Whether we like it or not, they own the rights and again, they mistakenly get all the vitriol.

Good on you getting in early on digital distribution. It's still the tricky part.

rct

I always thought ASCAP/BMI/SESAC should be prohibited from harassing clubs that seat under 200. This is where most acts get their feet wet, get started, learn the ropes and such. Clubs larger than that can afford the fees, and usually have more polished acts. That's where the money is anyhow and the way it's distributed is questionable at best.

As for videos of covers on youtube and social media....

I honestly have no idea how that is going to shake out.

As a writer I can sort of see both sides. I mean, I put my songs on the internet for the purpose of getting exposure obviously. The goal IS to get as many people as possible to hear them and appreciate them and if someone wanted to cover one/some, wouldn't that actually be a good thing? I actually had a member of this Board ask permission to cover one live in a club, and gave it.

There should be a way to reach a balance, however, as fractured as things seem to be these days I simply don't know if that is possible.

In Doug's case, it seems an over-reach.

The problem is that nobody wants to take it on. People who cover things would gladly do whatever their part is I think, but they aren't going to volunteer to do what Google and Youtube and Facebook and on and on should be doing. It's their job. I don't pay to cover songs in bars, the venue, the host does. It's pretty simple really, but nobody is going to tell Fukkerberg what to do, right? A wholes, all of them. They could fix it in a week but don't.

rct

Edited by rct

I always thought ASCAP/BMI/SESAC should be prohibited from harassing clubs that seat under 200. This is where most acts get their feet wet, get started, learn the ropes and such. Clubs larger than that can afford the fees, and usually have more polished acts. ...

As a writer I can sort of see both sides. I mean, I put my songs on the internet for the purpose of getting exposure obviously. The goal IS to get as many people as possible to hear them and appreciate them...

In Doug's case, it seems an over-reach.

+1