Gibson Brands Forums

Well its official now.

Retired

Nice one 'Retired'...…[thumbup]

In the 'You-Kay' anybody over 65 is considered to be 'retired'

So they don't need to shout about it....[biggrin]

V

:-({|=

I would have had to wait till I was 67 to retire, Then the management wanted to get rid of a bunch of old farts so they approved of age 60 with 30 years of service for full retirement. The union approved of it and a bunch of guys went out fast. When I joined on here I wondered what my sign in name would be and since I had already retired I thought, "What about Retired?" No one had that one so here I am. msp_flapper.gif Now that I have Herman for my avatar I thought I should have done Herman. Thanks for all the Birthday wishes guys. msp_thumbup.gif

• Upvote 1

I would have had to wait till I was 67 to retire, Then the management wanted to get rid of a bunch of old farts so they approved of age 60 with 30 years of service for full retirement. The union approved of it and a bunch of guys went out fast. When I joined on here I wondered what my sign in name would be and since I had already retired I thought, "What about Retired?" No one had that one so here I am. msp_flapper.gif Now that I have Herman for my avatar I thought I should have done Herman. Thanks for all the Birthday wishes guys. msp_thumbup.gif

I retired almost 2 years ago (same as you, company were offering old-and-in-the-way farts financial incentives). Since then, I have become fitter, lost 3 stone (42 lb) and am enjoying a sort of phantom adolescence at dances in the company of old ladies.

versatile is/was right about 65 in the uk. But.... not any longer. Everyone is retiring later. A 20 year old will get state pension at age 70. And there is no compulsory retirement at any age permitted now.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/pensions-retirement/financial-planning/state-pension-age-look-up-when-you-will-retire/

We have to make the most of it man! Seize the day! [biggrin]

• Upvote 2

I retired almost 2 years ago (same as you, company were offering old-and-in-the-way farts financial incentives). Since then, I have become fitter, lost 3 stone (42 lb) and am enjoying a sort of phantom adolescence at dances in the company of old ladies.

versatile is/was right about 65 in the uk. But.... not any longer. Everyone is retiring later. A 20 year old will get state pension at age 70. And there is no compulsory retirement at any age permitted now.

https://www.telegrap...ou-will-retire/

We have to make the most of it man! Seize the day! [biggrin]

I think the reason why management pushed for the 30/60 early full retirement at the Railroads was because too many older guys were getting injuries like backs and such. It was costing them too much in law suits. Yeah, the day I left I danced all the way home. Haha. msp_flapper.gif I don't miss a lick.

• Upvote 2

In Oz there is no retirement age, but the age pension is set at 67. it was set at 65 back when life expectancy was 59 and they finally moved it up a few years ago. If a party gets a safe enough majority in government I think it'll be moved to 70 and fair enough when we are living to 85-90. [unsure]

• Upvote 1

In Oz there is no retirement age, but the age pension is set at 67. it was set at 65 back when life expectancy was 59 and they finally moved it up a few years ago. If a party gets a safe enough majority in government I think it'll be moved to 70 and fair enough when we are living to 85-90. [unsure]

Many younger people here aren't getting retirements now. Many work till they drop I'm hearing. Unless they actually save up. I know at least 7 or 8 guys who died close to retirement at Havelock either working or from cancer. Railroad workers are expected to be able to lift at least 80 pounds from the floor which is the weight of a knuckle and put it in the coupler, no matter how old you are. Hince, why so many older guys were filling law suits for throwing their backs out. So it really depends on what type of jobs you have.

Now there getting more jib cranes and devices to pick heavier stuff up.

• Upvote 1

Happy Birthday!

Do you remember how the T-Rex played guitar with them short arms?

msp_confused.gif No, not quite. That was still before my time, but my first job at the Railroad was pulling arrows out of the side of Box Cars, Haha. msp_flapper.gif Does that count?msp_tongue.gifmsp_flapper.gif

• Upvote 2

I want to thank everyone here one more time for all your comments and good wishes. I appreciate them. Even through my humor. I know many are here older than I and I'm really thankful I can still play the guitar. Since I joined here, I'm a lot better player.

• Upvote 2