Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone CEC Nylon Coupe?

gmr

Hello everyone,

Has anybody here purchased or sampled one of these new nylon string guitars from Epiphone yet? I see they are now available. I cannot find any reviews or product demos of this guitar though.

I was about to purchase a Yamaha SLG 200N, but decided to wait to see how this new Epiphone turns out.

• 4 months later...

Right, nary a peep on this guitar as of Sept. 2019.  I, too, was researching the Yamaha SLG 200N before deciding away from the Yamaha's traditional flat fingerboard in favor of the radiused fingerboard of the Epiphone.  As of today I have an Epiphone CE Nylon Coupe on order from Sweetwater (note that Epiphone calls it CE vs the CEC on Sweetwater's site).  However, the Natural finish is out of stock and not expected until January, so I won't be able to leave comment for some time.  Some have clearly sold already (the Natural was in stock the day before I ordered!), so here's hoping someone can provide feedback sooner.

• 2 months later...

Hey Joel, did you ever get your CE Nylon?  If so, what do you think of it?  Looking around now, it looks like Epi may have already discontinued this guitar.  Ashamed, if that's the case.  Although the market for such guitars is probably very small, companies like Godin and Yamaha seem to have found a niche audience of buyers.  I was really hoping Epiphone could have some success in getting  into this nylon electric/hybrid market with this new guitar. There isn't much choice in nylon string guitars that are designed specifically for amplification.

Hi gmr,

I canceled my backorder when I got a good deal on an ESP LTD TL-6N Thinline Nylon String Acoustic-Electric Guitar Natural.: https://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP/LTD-TL-6N-Thinline-Nylon-String-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Natural-1409670719008.gc

Then I saw, to my shock, that the CE Coupe was now discontinued, as you say.  So, I guess it worked out.  By good deal, I mean I had a 20% off coupon from Guitar Center, since I hadn't ordered from them in awhile. And the ESP LTD TL-6N is less expensive to begin with.   On top of that, GC frequently has 15% off coupons (they do now) if you join their mailing list.   As for the Epiphone CE Coupe, here's what I unreservedly recommend if you don't mind getting the Ephipone CE Coupe in black (not natural):  https://reverb.com/item/23260521-epiphone-ce-coupe-nylon-string-solid-body-classical-acoustic-electric-guitar-ebony-used-mint

The seller is Sam Ash Direct.  I ordered a 12-string ESP LT-12 from them through Reverb, and this "Mint" guitar was every bit that: all original packaging (I don't know why they didn't call it New) and I had it at my door in two days.  Same with a guitar case for the ESP series, also ordered from Sam Ash Direct via Reverb.  The price on this black CE Coupe is  $155 less than new (if you could get it),  so I consider it a killer deal given the my experience with guitar condition and shipping from Reverb/Sam Ash Direct.  One cautionary note if you get a CE Coupe:  Ephiphone does not make a dedicated hard case for this guitar.  I know, because I called Epiphone directly.  They'll give you a stock number for their only CE Coupe case, which is a soft case not unlike a gig bag, and not an impressive looking one at that (padding appears thin).  You could do better getting a Gator gig bag, say.  SKB makes a couple of "thinline" hard cases (SKB-3 and SKB-30) that I was contemplating, but I was nervous about ordering without being able to try out fit.  I was going to look further into store's return policy before I ended up going with the ESP guitar.  By the way, if you're okay with the design of the ESP LT-6N with its "swoop" sound hole, it's a great alternative.  Good reviews, unlike the CE Coupe which had none, and I also give the ESP LT-6N 5 stars.  Plays great following the setup from my guitar tech, which I recommend for any new guitar.  I've got D'Addario EXP45 Classical Guitar Strings, Normal Tension on it, the same as I was going to put on the CE Coupe.

As for the Reverb listing for the CE Coupe, this is not the first time I've seen this deal.  Previously, when it sold, another appeared from Sam Ash quickly.  Obviously, this would lessen over time if the guitar is truly discontinued.  There's also another Reverb listing, although not from Sam Ash:  https://reverb.com/item/29138159-epiphone-cec-coupe-nylon-string-acoustic-electric-shadow-panoramic-pickup

Best of luck!

• 1 year later...

I have noticed the cec coupe solid body nylon at my local RockshopNZ here in RotoruaNZ. They have been having a sale (sales tax removed, and 1/3 off) so I got their stock one on approval.

I have fallen in love with this machine. It has features the earlier Chet Atkins solid body did not have. It is stereo/mono out, pan control, separate tone knob for 1-2-3, and 4-5-6. The pickup is a dream to use. I intend to put a youtube video up shortly (whenever i get around to it). The neck appears to be one piece (no scarf joint), the body may have a bookmatching/ or similar. The fingerboard is ebony. Nice build quality. The case was sold at half price (I am adjusting it, a bass case, by shortening it to fit the instrument properly).

The stereo out (with the panning LR) gives an interesting effect with slap back from my Delay pedal. I have done a mock-up with mono and stereo, and with my 0015E, which also plugs in beautifully.

I am thinking this guitar will stay with me a long time, maybe forever....

On 12/30/2020 at 8:48 PM, the bass player said:

I have noticed the cec coupe solid body nylon at my local RockshopNZ here in RotoruaNZ. They have been having a sale (sales tax removed, and 1/3 off) so I got their stock one on approval.

I have fallen in love with this machine. It has features the earlier Chet Atkins solid body did not have. It is stereo/mono out, pan control, separate tone knob for 1-2-3, and 4-5-6. The pickup is a dream to use. I intend to put a youtube video up shortly (whenever i get around to it). The neck appears to be one piece (no scarf joint), the body may have a bookmatching/ or similar. The fingerboard is ebony. Nice build quality. The case was sold at half price (I am adjusting it, a bass case, by shortening it to fit the instrument properly).

The stereo out (with the panning LR) gives an interesting effect with slap back from my Delay pedal. I have done a mock-up with mono and stereo, and with my 0015E, which also plugs in beautifully.

I am thinking this guitar will stay with me a long time, maybe forever....

well, you know, you never know you know..

On 12/30/2020 at 8:48 PM, the bass player said:

I have just changed the strings (ones on it were very old and worn, so the shop included two new sets on purchase). Does anyone know of the practice of having two holes for each string? This machine has 12 holes for 6n strings.

well, you know, you never know you know..