Gibson Brands Forums

Nashville

saturn

So, for our 30 Anniversary, my wife and I are going to Nashville. Of course everyone we know is giving us suggestions to do, but I figured I would ask the member here too. We do plan to visit Ryman Auditorium and might even record a song there together. msp_blushing.gif

Thanks for any info.

Stay home. Travel is a hassle and people are nuts. Where's 'The Dena'?

With the money you save you could buy this and still record a song with your bride.

https://reverb.com/i...ibson-j-50-1955

Not what I expected, but thanks. msp_biggrin.gif

The Dena is short for Pasadena Maryland. Sometime also known as The Dirty Dena . unsure.gif

Hope you got a chuckle.

Roots music towns are everywhere. It's a matter of what entertains you. A lot of people in this tribe would go looking for Nashville guitar shops, walk in and walk out muttering something about the high price tag..

Have fun. Life is short.

Congratulations on your 30th anniversary, very impressive!

I've been there as a single man and I had a blast, I don't recomend doing what I did for this occasion. It sounds like what you already have planned is awesome and you will have to post the recording upon your return. There are some awesome blues clubs I would take my bride to if I was in your shoes.

So, for our 30 Anniversary, my wife and I are going to Nashville. Of course everyone we know is giving us suggestions to do, but I figured I would ask the member here too. We do plan to visit Ryman Auditorium and might even record a song there together. msp_blushing.gif

Thanks for any info.

Happy 30th Anniversary, Have fun there.

Happy Anniversary, saturn! Not a whole lot of folks make thirty years these days! I guess, like me, you have a very tolerant wife! :) Gruhn's and Carter's for sure as well as the Parthenon. Any place with music is probably great...Nashville Cats and all that! Have a great time!

Congrats on your 30th anniversary... !! Wish you many more to come! Thought you might consider a trip to Spain... [rolleyes]

Hey Dave. Thanks. Long time, no see.

I would love to see Spain. Or any place in Europe for that matter. My middle son just got back from a trip to Eastern Europe. My wife is going in August with her sister and step mom to Ireland. So far for me, I don't even have a passport yet. sad.gif

Hey Dave. Thanks. Long time, no see.

I would love to see Spain. Or any place in Europe for that matter. My middle son just got back from a trip to Eastern Europe. My wife is going in August with her sister and step mom to Ireland. So far for me, I don't even have a passport yet. sad.gif

Hey Saturn, get with the program... Hahahah.

Nice trip, awesome idea to do a recording. If the Vanderbilt baseball team is home, I'd go watch a game.

...probably after you go into your first set of guitar shops, then head to the game where you can ponder over what you just saw, but still give you enough time to go back and get one. And that should be before the recording session with your wife. And she should get a guitar too.

Nashville will be awesome, 30 yrs is an accomplishment, enjoy!

Congratulations on your anniversary. Be glad it did not coincide with the NFL draft that drew 600,000 people. The rest of the the town is empty right now.

Nashville has grown at a crazy pace the last 4 years, it is nuts. I have lived 23 years here and it is crazy to see this once small city to grow like that.

You do not mention what dates you are coming down but...(oops I see you said May)

Downtown is mandatory, Honky Tonks, the earlier in the day the better to avoid the crazy crowds. Beer tastes good during the day too.

Hot Chicken is a must, even if you get the mild, Pepperfire, Hattie B's, Prince's.

Guitar shops, unless you are wanting to look at some high end stuff, I'd skip it. You have GCs in your town.

The area by Third Man Records Studio/Store (Jack White) not far from downtown has some breweries nearby. Look up the area to see if you are interested.

East Nashville, a very short Uber ride and you are in Hipster/Artist/Musician and Gentrifiers live there. There are a few cool bars and restaurants. For Pizza go to 5 Points Pizza.

Vanderbilt Area or "West End" there are a few cool bars, Chuy's Mexican Restaurant is a chain but it's cool and probably you do not have one on your neck of the woods.

Centennial Park for a daytime walk, and look at the Parthenon. Classic stuff. Also on the West End.

The Opry House is on the East-ish Side, not proper East Nashville but only the Opry Mills Mall is nearby and a bunch of cheesy country shops. Id' skip it.

If you happen to be here on June 8th The Rock N' Roll Residency is playing a show and that would be a must. They are bringing the guys from That Metal Show for comedic entertainment. (Not Eddie but the other two)

Edited by Riffster

Also the Tennessee State Museum is free if you like history and all. They once had one of the best collection of militia swords I had ever saw before. Plus a lot of civil war and other things like the Indian relics and stuff.

The country music hall of fame is nice too. You will not have to worry about any places to eat as the downtown area has a ton of dives to check out. The guitar stores like Carters and Gruhns too.

Have fun!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well we are leaving in the morning. Gonna drive though Shenandoah on the way. We've gotten some good suggestions and everyone says we will love it. Weather looks to be nasty, but we'll make the best of it. Hope to see some good guitar pickin'. cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Nashville was everything we thought it would be. Beautiful drive through Shenandoah.

We did a lot of the touristy stuff. Hit a lot of the places on the main drag of Broadway, and went to most of the celebrity owned clubs. Personally like Kid Rocks's Big *** Honky Tonk. Got some hot chicken. Stood in line for Biscuit Love ( a little over rated IMO). Saw lots of great music, obviously. Hit some distilleries. Overall a great time and awesome city.

Downside. Couldn't walk 10 steps without encountering a begger. Spent more on parking than about anything else.