Gibson Brands Forums

John Mclaughlin

jdgm

Just got back from the John Mclaughlin concert at Barbican London.

Very good indeed, fantastic in fact; he is 77 now and his band the 4th Dimension is easily his best line-up since the 1st Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Gary Husband - keyboards/drums, Etienne M'Bappe - bass, and the f**kin' amazing Ranjit Barot on drums.

Mclaughlin is not so frantic as he once was, there are more slow/mid-tempo numbers these days but he still blazes. He played a PRS throughout with pedals but no amp onstage - straight into the p.a.

A wonderful concert. Went with one of my old school friends who I've known since 1970 and who like me is 65 this year. This was our treat.

I have been going to see John Mclaughlin since about 1972, and to see him again now in 2019 was immensely satisfying.

Total cost of evening including a single pint (Camden brewery, very good but £5.50) = £74. Ticket £41 (that's cheap) and return train fare a little over £27.

Best wishes to all!

• Upvote 2

Have dug John's music since the 70's Mahavishnu days.....[thumbup]

So many superb collaborations over the years...

No particular favourites, but stand-outs for moi include...

Free Spirits with Joey deFrancesco and Dennis Chambers

John plus Kai Eckhardt and Trilok Gurtu…..

V

:-({|= (Not forgetting the violinists like Jean Luc Ponty who have moved the posts somewhat...:blink:)

I saw John with Shakti some years ago in Boston...Unbelieveable!! They had the son of the original ghatam player in the band and U. "Mandolin" Srinivas along with Zakir and ,of course, John. I have to say that it was one of the richest musical experiences of my life! I brought the cover of the "Handful of Beauty" album with me and the whole group signed it! It is truly one of my prize possessions! I got to talk momentarily yo John and Zakir after the show and found them both to be humble and kind. Just thought I'd share my tale...

By the way, jdgm, is there any fantastic music that you haven't seen? To be honest, I envy you a bit!

• Upvote 1

As I've noted before, I'm a big fan of the "Birthday" or whatever posts because:

1.) they expose me to players and/or genres I may or may not have experienced before or

2.) they bring back some of those "oh yeah" memories

Either way is okay with me, keep 'em coming!!

JM is awesome, btw.

• Upvote 1

By the way, jdgm, is there any fantastic music that you haven't seen? To be honest, I envy you a bit!

Thanks - I always take the opportunity if possible, as you never know when this whole thing is going to end....!

Many, many times I have gone to see something on my own, or because that was what was going on, and only years later has it gained significance if you see what I mean.

For instance - was it '69 or 1970? I don't know - I saw Arthur 'Big Boy' Crudup on his last UK tour. All I knew at the time was that he was supposed to have written "That's Alright Mama" and never got a penny for it.

But bands and artists I missed - among others; The Beatles, Elvis, Cream (I was too young for all of those), the Stones (not bothered), Deep Purple and I would love to have seen Howlin' Wolf of course.

The great jazz pianist Bill Evans used to visit Ronnie Scott's for a residency every year, so each time I'd think "well...next year maybe". And then he died unexpectedly in Sept 1980 so I missed seeing him.

I always remember that now, when I'm thinking about going to see someone. Sooner or later you just won't have the choice whether to go and see them or not.

However as ticket prices have rocketed in the last 20 years - and somehow, I just don't understand it but I've got OLD [crying] - I don't get to concerts like I used to.

And I am a complete nut for Mclaughlin; I also saw Shakti (3 nights in a row at Hammersmith Odeon on a bill with Weather Report and Billy Cobham/George Duke band) and I envy you the signed cover.

I'd love to meet him, just to tell him how much his music has meant to me over the years.

Best wishes!

Edited by jdgm
  • Upvote 2

Many, many times I have gone to see something on my own, or because that was what was going on, and only years later has it gained significance if you see what I mean.

My Dad was born in 1915 (he's gone since 2003) and lived in New York City just after WWII. He saw Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Dizzy, Miles, and just about anyone you could name who was playing at that time (which was everyone who was anyone). He and my uncle John would just go out bar hopping and see all these folks! I once asked him if, at the time, he had realised what/who he was seeing. He told me, "No,...John and I were just out getting drunk, dancing, and hitting on the ladies."

• Upvote 2

As I've noted before, I'm a big fan of the "Birthday" or whatever posts because:

1.) they expose me to players and/or genres I may or may not have experienced before or

2.) they bring back some of those "oh yeah" memories

Either way is okay with me, keep 'em coming!!

JM is awesome, btw.

I'm glad that my posts haven't yet become tedious! I also find that this forum is a wondrous place to find new music and players! I lovingly thank all of you members who post such and help me deepen my love for music! Peace!

• Upvote 1

I'm glad that my posts haven't yet become tedious! I also find that this forum is a wondrous place to find new music and players! I lovingly thank all of you members who post such and help me deepen my love for music! Peace!

Speaking for all the members here at the Gibson Forum

I say, "you are welcome".

Peace!😁

• Upvote 1

I saw him with the Mahavishnu Orchestra in the 70's was it? Sooo long ago!

My Dad was born in 1915 (he's gone since 2003) and lived in New York City just after WWII. He saw Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Dizzy, Miles, and just about anyone you could name who was playing at that time (which was everyone who was anyone). He and my uncle John would just go out bar hopping and see all these folks! I once asked him if, at the time, he had realised what/who he was seeing. He told me, "No,...John and I were just out getting drunk, dancing, and hitting on the ladies."

"When an old man dies, a library burns to the ground."

• Upvote 2