Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
0x70dd

2019 Les Paul Classic Binding Discoloration

I just noticed that the edge of the binding my 2 month old Les Paul Classic started turning dark gray where my strumming hand meets the body.

LwGd2Kk_d.jpg?maxwidth=1280&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium&fbclid=IwAR3XTb_rCo43UN7-Irhj1ZOnJYTL5TXkAP-Gk7JtZU8ZweadKRU33iVksCk

I have a very dry skin and I suspect maybe some of my moisturizers might be the culprit. I'd like to figure out what might have caused it to avoid further damage. Anyone else experienced similar thing?

I would be VERY careful with those moisturizer getting on the nitro finish. I would think you could polish that discoloration out.

Edited by Big Bill

Maybe try wearing an arm sleeve to avoid skin contact. That's saved the finish on mine.

I would try some Virtuoso polish. It can work wonders on nitro finish.

When I'm done playing I wipe down with a damp, warm, soft cotton cloth. But If it's the moisturizer doing it, I'd just wash it off before I play.

You didn't think Pete Townsend's overalls were a style statement did you?

652693.jpg

2478360-40.jpg

Yes, he was extremely careful about the finish on his guitar. Right before he smashed it.

• Upvote 1

Moisturizers and nitro sounds like a bad combo (or a peculiar Pride Parade anthem). Bet that's the culprit.

I wouldn't worry about it though. They say exposure is the key to curing OCD, and after a few dates abroad I'd gone from scrutinizing to "well, there's still a NEST in the amp but I think we lost the bats near Belgium, so it's all good. And no fungi on most of the fretboard. All set!" Highly recommended.