Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid Shaller's question

Tim Plains

Even I have my moments, I know...

I bought one pair to try out and put them on my Tele. Now I'm going to put them on all my guitars.

My Strat is the only guitar I have that has felt washers between the strap holders and the body, from the factory.

Do you guys always put these felt washers on?

I do.

I assume they are there for a reason, so I put them back with the new buttons. Perhaps they keep the finish from reacting to the metal, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks guys, but I meant the guitars that don't have the washers on to begin with. Maybe I should have made that clear in my first post. For the Strat, yeah I'll definitely put them back on....but if AXE says I don't need 'em, I don't need 'em.

D*ck...

I don't have washers on my LP or Tele. I don't recall the Schallers I bought coming with any washers?

They didn't. I did some research. The reason that you may not want to put a washer on the button is that the screw may be more prone to snapping. I can buy that if you use a really thick washer, but not if it is pretty thin. Then again who cares about the finish under the strap button anyway.

Read this before you do anything to the guitar.

From a website created by a guy who knows his stuff;

:-)

First thing, compare the screws provided by Schaller to the ones out of your guitar.

Hold them side by side to compare the thread pitch, if they don't match toss them in the trash. DON'T use them!

On a Les Paul, the back or rear pin is usually too small to accept the Gibson screw.

Drill it out on the inside. Put a thin piece of cardboard around it and clamp it in a vise, or a pair of locking pliers.

About 4mm diameter is enough, check the screw fit until the hole is big enough. There's enough metal on the Schaller button to do it, but as with all things go slowly & take your time. If you ruin the Schaller pin, another set for $20 is still cheaper than guitar damage.

You're not done yet.

On some Gibsons, the screw head from the back pin is too large to fit inside the Schaller head.

Just grind the edge of the head down a little so it will clear.

As an alternative, you can use a countersink bit to get everything nice and tidy. The screw will not be damaged at all.

To help preserve the wood around the pin, I put small buna rubber faucet washers under the pin instead of felt washers.

There are a couple reasons for this;

First, the screws sit deeper into Schaller buttons than most factory pins, so they would possibly go too far into the body.

Second, It's difficult to tell exactly how tight the screws should be.

Using the stiff buna rubber washers, they will compress only slightly. When it starts to bulge under screw pressure, you have gone far enough. The rubber is stiff enough to prevent bending of the screw, and pliable enough to prevent damage to the finish.

Once the Schaller pins are cleanly installed the threads inside the body are pristine, and you still have the factory screws with only the slightest grinding on the head to show for it. Nobody will ever notice it.

Everything original is in the case on most of my guitars.

If they were to someday become valuable I could quickly restore them to original factory condition.

Why drill/butcher your guitar body, when a drill press & 25 minutes will do the job?

The worst that can happen is you'll mess up the button & have to buy a new one.

That's a lot better than going crying to your local luthier.

Do you think he'll give you a break on repair costs because you screwed up?

http://www.rattlesnakeroadhouse.com/Schaller.html

I've seen lotsa stupidity involving damaged guitars.

Schallers are a smart move.

You'll thank me later.

:-)

Neo

Archived