Gibson Brands Forums

L-50 replacement tuners

Boomer9898

I have a 1962 Gibson L-50 with one tuner that is difficult to turn. I would like to replace the entire set of Klusons with better quality ones. I will keep the originals. Has anyone found something that will fit the existing holes in the peg head. Open or closed would be okay. Stew-Mac has replacements Gotoh, but the specs seem a little off from my measurements of the old tuner and the corresponding screw and shaft hole size.

One time I made the mistake of drilling holes in a headstock based on Stew-Mac's spec sheet. Wow, did I ever learn a lesson there. So the Gotohs may be a perfect replacement in spite of the specs. Kluson is back in business by the way, although made in Korea. That might be your best bet for replacement.

I would like to replace the entire set of Klusons with better quality ones.

I would question whether Gotoh are better quality, and in my opinion, NO. As a general rule Gotoh only makes reproductions of other manufacturers designs and parts. In other words, copies. Why not buy the "originals", new or used.

I HAVE had problems with Gotoh (and other foriegn/Asian) parts fitting American guitars. I have always figured this SLIGHT variation in sizings and spacings to be due to the english-metric dimension conversions. Very few english measurements are an exact conversion to metric.

I would expect a Kluson to be a Kluson, even if made in Korea, and drop right in.

Archived