Gibson Brands Forums

Amp for ES-339

huckster

I have a Crate Acoustic D 60 amp that works really well for my acoustic with pickup. I'm wondering If anyone has run their ES through an amp designed for acoustics. The D 60 is very versatile and clean. But I wonder if the ES-339 will sound good through it. I haven't received the ES339 yet. It's I transit. I just want to be ready to power up when it arrives. I just want something for home jam sessions. Any ideas? thanks

I think acoustic amps are voiced more for acoustic guitars, just as bass amps for bass. I guess that is why there are 3 types. I could be wrong. Fender always works.

Picked up a Fender Princeton 112 Plus in very good condition for under 2 Franklins. Looking forward to how the ES 339 will sound through it. thanks

• 10 months later...

Hello.  This is an old post, but here is a new response.  

I am an acoustic violin and mandolin player, but I had an interesting opportunity to buy a 2007 ES-339 at a fair price that found its way out of a studio arsenal here in Hollywood.  It has been highly modified with completely different pickups, but sounds nice.  I tested it on a rocker's Marshall Stack and couldn't really make any sense out of the sound I was hearing.  

My motivation is to learn all those exotic Jazz Comps, and the rocker's stack didn't work for me.  Also, the strings on it (super slinkies) didn't work for me either.  But I bought the guitar!

I brought it home, changed the strings to Thomastik 12s and hooked it up to my Fishman Loudbox Artist (the older version without USB).  It sounded good, but it sounded even better when I tweaked the pickup height.  Finally I put the pick down  and do the comps with my thumb and fingers and the sound is beautiful.

So, the Fishman Loudbox Artist works, but since I have a Seymour Duncan PAF replica in the neck and some other exotic hand wound in the the bridge, you mileage may vary.

Edited by ES 2007