Gibson Brands Forums

A Little Help ID'ing This One

Cabarone

I have no idea if this is going to work...I'm trying to copy a pic off of FaceBook of Emmylou Harris w/an old Gibson...there was some discussion on the model, thought it best to go to the experts!

If this doesn't work, mods feel free to delete...or maybe somebody smart can pull it up...

Edited by Cabarone

https://www.facebook...Cg9IjHIVb&ifg=1

I have no idea if this is going to work...I'm trying to copy a pic off of FaceBook of Emmylou Harris w/an old Gibson...there was some discussion on thw model, thought it best to go to the experts!

If this doesn't work, mods feel free to delete...or maybe somebody smart can pull it up...

I would guess 50s or 60s J-50. That is just based on the top finish, the shape, and the bridge.

As strange as it may now seem, there was a time back in the 50s, 60’s, and I guess early 70s when luthiers would put a matching upper pickguard on a highly worn guitar to cover scratch marks. Those who are old enough may recall Bob Shane of the Kingston Trio’s well worn Martin suddenly getting new life in the mid 60s by the Kingston Trio’s luthier, as shown on the cover of a few of their later Decca albums. And, fans liking its coolness. Martin, decades later, even reissued a Bob Shame tribute model to the double bat winged rejuvenated original that received the luthier’d double pickguard rejuvenating treatment. Even I once added a double pickguard to a guitar after consulting with a local music store on how to do it in the early 70s. However, my foolishness didn’t last and I took it off a couple of years later.

Yet as we all know, Gibson’s factory version of the Everly Brothers guitars and the model that came from those guitars with double pickguards survive as really cool looking instruments. And, Bob Shane’s iconic double batwing guitar most certainly has to be a collector item to its present owner (his former brother in-law, I think.). But, EmmyLou’s? Probably not so much.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

Ah, the shame of it😨! I did an upper guard on a '66 J-50 back in the early 1970's. Sacrilege. Lest you judge too harshly, it was a time of joy and (sometimes) unbridled impulse. I still believe Emmy's guitar has great "character".

I did an upper guard on a '66 J-50 back in the early 1970's. Sacrilege. Lest you judge too harshly, it was a time of joy and (sometimes) unbridled impulse.

"A time of joy and unbridled impulse." I'm going to steal that tagline the next time someone asks about all that abalone inlay my old 1950 J-45 acquired around 1970. I just put it down to the drugs, which sounds a lot less romantic.

Bob Shane's double black guard D-28 first appeared on their Capitol album #16.

Shocked the heck outta me.

Your memory is better than mine. Memory-wise, I recalled first seeing the double bat wings on Bob Shane’s guitar with the Decca records era, but, I went back and checked and you are absolutely correct. Shane’s double pickguards first appeared on the trio’s #16 album on Capitol records, pre-dating the Decca era by a few years.

I too was shocked upon first seeing the double pickguards. I liked them at the time!

You didn’t indicate if you liked them...

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff