Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson's Latest SG Releases Are Trickling Out

arcticsg

Well Gibson's latest SG releases are out.

Gibson SG Standard '61 Maestro Vibrola

Gibson SG Standard '61 Sideways Vibrola

Gibson SG Modern Electric Guitar Blueberry Fade

The Modern SG (an HP actually) has swapped out the Richlite for an EBONY fretboard at an even LOWER price, Amazing!!

Unfortunately you can't have it all though, the Standard SG is still not worthy of a hardcase in Gibson's eyes! msp_mad.gif

...but I am still stoked that they used an Ebony fretboard instead of Richlite on the Mordern SG (a Revised HP)! msp_thumbup.gif

I really wanted to like the sideways vibrola but after trying one, it's such a poor design. The guitar should have come with roller saddles. As it is, it won't stay in tune. Using the trem moves the whole saddle and eventually the posts will bend over or break. Looks cool but... Just not a good idea.

The other one with the regular vibrola is fantastic, that is what I will be buying.

• Upvote 1

I really wanted to like the sideways vibrola but after trying one, it's such a poor design. The guitar should have come with roller saddles. As it is, it won't stay in tune. Using the trem moves the whole saddle and eventually the posts will bend over or break. Looks cool but... Just not a good idea.

The other one with the regular vibrola is fantastic, that is what I will be buying.

The sideways vibrola is total shite, the bridge isn't the issue... I'm a magician with floyds and bigsby's. (I own nut and saddle files)

But the sideways vibrola is a work of art, I keep going back and forth on selling my 2015 SGS3..... but it is just so beautiful...

20190429-203110-2.jpg

Edited by AngelDeVille
  • Upvote 1

On another cheaper note, I've always thought the Tribute title sounds kind of lame but I feel that Gibson would sell boatloads if they would offer a cheaper p90 and humbucker version of the SG. Aside from the faded SG they're calling the Standard Tribute, that is.

post-100456-063603300 1557244682_thumb.jpg

post-100456-050799400 1557244694_thumb.jpg

Edited by Don_Swazy