Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J 45 Lim Ed. vs. Collings D1A ??

suburude63

Question for you all around knowledgeable guys? Has any one evr played a Collings D1A Its an adi topped hog dread. Or even better A,Bd one with a Gibson J45 adi top?? I know the sound would be different. I just do not know anything about Collings guitars?? Does anyone own one here??

suburude

I don't own a D1A, but I've played a couple - great guitars. Collings guitars have a totally different vibe than Gibsons. Overall I'd say that the Collings tone runs quite a bit closer to Martin guitars, so it's a lot easier to compare them with Martins. If you're at all familiar with Martin guitars, you could extrapolate the following comments based on your own experiences.

Assuming same model/size wood combinations, I'd say that Collings guitars are generally a bit brighter than Martins (not to be mistaken as "thin"), yet with better clarity (keep in mind that one man's "clarity" is another's "sterile"). Most examples I've played have had a bit more volume than the Martins (again assuming equal body sizes). A couple of important things about Collings guitars - when comparing against other factory/small shop builders, their build quality is second to none. They are also a lot more consistent tone-wise from one guitar to the next than most other builders. That said, they are not cheap. In the past I have owned a Martin D18 Golden Era - at the time I preferred the D1A that the shop also had available, but I just couldn't justify the price difference as they were both great guitars. On another forum someone had noted that Martins are like grand pianos, while Gibsons are more like a honky tonk upright. I pretty much agree with this, and consider it a positive statement. I'd add to this that while Martins are grands, Collings are more like Steinway grands. Nevertheless, while very few could find fault with their build quality, not everyone is totally sold on the Collings tone.

As an aside: I've owned my Collings OM2H (Indian Rosewood/Sitka) for 14 years now. It is a rock solid guitar, and remains one of the best playing guitars that I've ever experienced. This little guitar is amazingly loud, very balanced and every note on every string is brilliant (full of life) all the way up the fretboard.

I like Gibson guitars for different reasons, primarily the slightly funky, really woody tone that just appeals to me. Its all good.

All the best,

Guth

Collings guitars have a totally different vibe than Gibsons. Overall I'd say that the Collings tone runs quite a bit closer to Martin guitars

+1. Even the Collings models based on Gibson designs, like the C-10 -- Collings's version of the L-00 -- don't sound anything like Gibsons.

-- Bob R

My two cents worth: A Collings is a properly balanced Martin. There is a bit less bass, more presence in the midrange and a more singing type of treble as opposed to cutting trebles like Martins typically have.

There really is no direct comparison between Collings and Gibson, though the more pleasant treatment of trebles is a commonality. As someone else said, even the Collings guitars with slope shoulders sound nothing like a Gibson.

Personally, I prefer a Martin to a Collings because I like having full range bass to work with - and the Martin will typically be at least 1/3 less expensive.

+1 on just about everything Guth said (I also have a Collings OM2HG -- a fantastic guitar).

And suburude, I just played this D1A, along with a mess of other very fine guitars, the other day at Buffalo Brothers in Carlsbad, CA. It was the second nicest guitar I tried out. The nicest one was this one.

My next guitar is gonna have mahogany b&s!

Sub, nice Townes pic in your avatar! That man is one of my biggest musical influences. Have you picked up Robert Earl Keen's new book on him? Amazing read, very interesting and brilliantly written.

Anyway, back to the guitar topic in hand-the D1A and J45 TV Ltd. Are completely different beasts. Both lovely, but in very different ways. The Collings, as most of them are, is a very 'Hi-Fi' guitar, amazing, precision build that is reflected in the tone and feel of the guitar. A much more clean, tidy tone than the characterful honk and thump of a great J45.

The only comparison I can draw is that the Collings is a 'City' guitar, whereas the J45 is a 'country' guitar. One wears a suit, one wears dungarees, but both work equally hard in their field, and get the job done!

For me, it would be the J45 all the way, if I had to pick, but they are sufficiently different and interesting guitars to justify owning both, if money was no object.

Jinder whats the title of the book about Townes? I just read "A Deeper Blue" by Robert Earl Hardy. Also a fine book about Townes. He is also a big influence on me musically > A guy here in Spokane Wa. teaches a Townes guitar class every yaer. Good stuff! suburude

I just read "A Deeper Blue" by Robert Earl Hardy. Also a fine book about Townes.

I'm definitely going to look for this book. I had the chance to watch/talk with Townes a number of times back when I lived in Texas. Sadly, you never knew what to expect. That cat had some serious problems and you couldn't help but feel for him when you caught him on a bad night. On a good night however, he was awesome. I really enjoyed it when he and Guy Clark played together, and I recall one tour when they were joined by Robert Earl Keen. Good stuff!

All the best,

Guth

Sorry Sub I meant Robert Earl Hardy! Classic 1am error. I really enjoyed that book, the prior one by John Kruth was pretty good, too.

Townes was so good I can hardly stand it. If he'd ever been able to strike a balance between the pitch black darkness inside himself and at least dusk, he could have been bigger than Dylan. But, then again, he probably wouldn't have been as incredible as he was.

I've had the chance to play both. And anyone who has played a Collings will sure know what quality built product it is. I was very impressed. However, I felt it didn't have the tone that resonates to my liking as Gibson does well, especially The J-45 TV.

Question for you all around knowledgeable guys? Has any one evr played a Collings D1A Its an adi topped hog dread. Or even better A' date='Bd one with a Gibson J45 adi top?? I know the sound would be different. I just do not know anything about Collings guitars?? Does anyone own one here??

suburude[/quote']

I have a D1A. What can I tell you?

Archived