Gibson Brands Forums

How to Date an Older Kramer?

cooltouch

I have a kramer Focus 1000 that I'm curious about when it was made. It pretty much looks like an Eddie Van Halen special -- vaguely Strat style body, single slanted humbucker with a Floyd Rose system. It hs a New Jersey neck heel plate, but from what I understand, that doesn't mean it was made there. I'm guessing either Japan or Korea, but I dunno.

Here's a pic of it. You'll note that I've done a bit of hotrodding to it. I added a P90 to the neck position, a selector switch, and a second volume pot. I also discovered that the stock humbucker had an extra wire, so I installed a microswitch and set it for coil tap and I forget what the other setting is. I don't use either much at all anyway.

11745740253_e9ceaf015b_b.jpgKramer Focus 1000 circa 1986 by Michael McBroom, on Flickr

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi, I am looking for any help/info/photo of a Kramer Focus Classic built and gifted to Eddie Van Halen back in the day when Eddie was endorsed by Kramer and was a reg at the Kramer shop. It came from 5150 and I purchased from a long time friend/collector.. professional player, that has played with  many famous artist  we all know. There was no cell phones or internet back in the day, so photo's and video was not at a pull of your smart phone out ones back pocket to capture history, like it is today. Basically Eddie was talking about how he wished he didn't  custom route, paint and tear up a 100% Pre CBS Strat in seeking the "ONE" he later found.. In his Franky.  So as Ed said and I repeat.. He gave his Pre CBS ( 61 or 62) Sunburst Fender Strat to Kramer on one of his Trips to the Kramer Factory, and Kramer measured and built a Exact Spec Kramer Focus Classic. Gave it a Neck Plate Ser # 65162. #6 is always a special made Kramer Guitar, or 1 of 1 and built for a Famous Artist. 5162.. was for 5150 ( Ed's studio) but 62 was the year Strat.. That really started EVH  and the Van Halen Sound.  I am Ed Matthews owner of EddieVegas.com Vintage Fender Strat Dealer. I am not a Kramer expert. I have talk to a person that was a sales rep with Kramer at the time Eddie was always there etc. He said this sounds every bit like a Kramer thing. But again, many years past.. there was no internet  etc. No computers keeping track of all etc.  This is not like a reg 1980's Kramer.. It's high end built.. Next to a real 1962 Strat.. SAME specs.  Ed had so many guitar's, many guitar's were giving to him back in the days in hopes he find "His One" and sign with that Guitar company.  It's like a Strat.. so Eddie would never really played it in concert.. Ya it's a neat Guitar and when I list it for sale I like to give as much facts as possible to pass on the the next owner/collector. 1 Final. It came in a the Kramer Hard Case that housed The Hot For Teacher Guitar Eddie used in the Video... You see that guitar for sale right now online, and it comes in just a Gig Bag.. So this case adds more to the history.  If any help can be thrown this way I be very grateful..  Thanks for reading.. and Lord Bless

Ed Matthews

EddieVegas.com

IMG_2422.JPG

IMG_6049.JPG

IMG_6467.JPG

IMG_202302142028095.JPG

IMG_8280.jpg