Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Recording

ldb

Got a Recording bought late 73 or early 74 in Inverness ,Scotland.It sat in the shop for a while till I got the deposit!! Theres no dot on the Gibson i and the serial no is 105001- any ideas of build date? Ithought it was probably 72 but not 100%...Anyone got a ser no around same range?

The serial number puts it anywhere between 1970 & 1974. If it is a 1972, it would likely have the normal Tune-o-matic Bridge. They changed to the "Harmonica Bridge" in about 1973. You can take the control plate off & check the pot codes.

Example: 1377233..... 137=CTS 72=year pot manufactured 33=week of year manufactured. The pot codes may not pin point the year exactly. in most cases with Gibson it's fairly close. The guitar cant be older than the pot code unless they were replaced.

Photos would help date it also. I'll post a photo of my '73.

ev4vNTkh.jpg

The serial number puts it anywhere between 1970 & 1974. If it is a 1972, it would likely have the normal Tune-o-matic Bridge. They changed to the "Harmonica Bridge" in about 1973. You can take the control plate off & check the pot codes.

Example: 1377233..... 137=CTS 72=year pot manufactured 33=week of year manufactured. The pot codes may not pin point the year exactly. in most cases with Gibson it's fairly close. The guitar cant be older than the pot code unless they were replaced.

Photos would help date it also. I'll post a photo of my '73.

ev4vNTkh.jpg

Thanks for the reply Grog,it has got the Schaller bridge and Grover kidney button heads,never like taking out the screws unless necessary-always seem to get a shredded head!! Mines not nearly as pretty as yours!! might put up a foto after i clean it up a bit...... Hows Minnesota?? spent a few nights on the brew there, then up in Duluth at Ma`s....happy days..i think...

Regards, Les

Minnesota is good! A bit cold, but not seeing a lot of the terrible weather some of the rest of the country is seeing. We are talking about heading up to Duluth this month to stay at Fitger's Hotel. The craft beer craze is said to have started there, at least in this state.

I'll post a gut shot of my LPR. Hopefully there will be one pot that has the code visible & free of solder...………

sH63fnYh.jpgTMcxKEfh.jpg

Edited by Grog