Gibson Brands Forums

Is the Dark Fire reliable?

mmilloff

On the verge of buying. Is anyone getting reliable usage out of this thing? The bug list seems formidable as well as inevitable from these posts. Is Gibson going to retrofit sold Dark Fires once they've done their quality control?

Thanks

M

I play mine three times a week at live gigs - its very reliable.

Any Dark Fires shipped after Jan 15 will have double inspected MCK control.

Most remaining guitar bugs can be fixed with a firmware update.

I understand there is currently a minor hardware issue with the RIP, and the fix is being installed before the next shipment batch. Current owners of RIP will be supplied instructions on the best path to render a fix. - This solves the bug due to the RIP's periodic "battery recharge" cycle that always creates short duration audio drop outs.

While I don't use mine as demanding as elantric would need to use his, I can say that I've never had any problem that bothered me. I got mine on 17 Dec, so it still needs a firmware update. My MCK worked fine from the start. My switch was not bent at all. I understood how to get up and running even without a full-blown manual (though, I DID want a manual). I like the asymmetrical neck. My top is not "flame" as described by others here but I really like the top I received (and I could have easily swaped out this guitar for at least three other Dark Fires, two which had "flame").

I did give my guitar to the next-door luthier last week but it was only for cosmetic stuff. He noticed the sharp edges on the frets and is going to dress them. But, the sharp edges don't bother me as they do some people.

I have not upgraded the firmware yet nor have I had a chance to install the software to try out the RIP (I'm slow because I'm busy all the time). I expect my waiting will only benefit me. An example is that I am now hearing from elantric that there may be a problem that will need to be fixed on my RIP. I view these issues--the software, firmware upgrade, etc.--as all part of the fun and learning. I may hit a bump or two, but it is of no real concern to me.

I suppose buying the Dark Fire is all up to what you require of an instrument and what time/desire you have to explore the new territory of this guitar.

see bug list

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=10683

* ) RIP has static anomalies every 3 minutes of use, as it rechecks the Battery charge state - Renders recordings with dropped samples every few minutes of recording.

Status: I understand there is currently a minor hardware issue with prior shipped RIPs, and the fix is being installed by Gibson before the next shipment batch. Current owners of RIP - including me - will be supplied instructions on the best path to render a fix. - This solves the bug due to the RIP's periodic "battery recharge" cycle that always creates short duration audio drop outs.

Hey I got a question. I've been reading these forums about the Darkfire and am starting to wonder if I should go with the GOR. I don't want to get a guitar that I will have to send right back to Gibson to be fixed and I think that the GOR looks better in terms of looks and colour. What is your guys experiences with the GOR and Darkfire?

Read post above

Its been a great guitar - would buy it again today.

It spoils you. It has much better sustain than my '72 LP Standard - due to Ebony fretboard and its much lighter.

I love the tone - I can get Robben Ford / Mike Blloomfield LP tones + new age piezo acoustic tones - add the RIP and hex processing with 6 instances of Guitar Rig on a Macbook Pro - its an extremely versatile axe.

As Craig Anderton said "Like no other guitar!"

Its not just a guitar - its whole toolkit that opens doors.

I had given up on Guitar Rig before - too much latency - but with RIP that issue is resolved - it feels wonderful to play with low latency driver with good clean hardware from Echo Audio.

Anytime you assemble "too many new features" all at once - rules of statistics, probability, and murphy's law over ride the best laid plans of mice and men. The good news Henry is standing firm and is making this technology a reality.

I've become a major fan of Henry for this achievement, and speaks volumes for his vision being in the power seat to "make it so" - despite the inevitable bumps - and thus change our world.

lol yes I've decided that I want a Darkfire and just might get one if I convince my dad and that the GC in Jacksonville, FL is trying to get me a Darkfire and told me that there is only 1 left in the South of the US so I hope he gets it so i can get it.

Archived