Gibson Brands Forums

The quintessential singers guitar

A lot of acoustic players in my area seem to prefer Martin. Although many Martin's are obviously great sounding and playing instruments I always gravitated towards Gibson. I think I generally see more Martin's on youtube videos though.

Edited by cody78

Seems like both Gibsons and Martins are fine instruments, but each has its own "vibe". Hard to explain objectively, but definitely something I can sense while playing. As far as who plays what, among working singers, the percentage is likely about 50/50. I'd really like to hear from some professionals as to the reason(s) for their preference.

Ever notice on shows like Austin City Limits that most of the singers are playing J45's? Every once in a while you see a Martin, but the old Gibson seems to be the go-to acoustic.

Seems most of the people I like play Gibsons. Not all, but most.

Until I see an artist live, or on a video, or unless it is listed in the liner notes I have no clue what an artist cut the track with. You can assume if you know what guitars they own. But it ain't 100%.

The original post was referring to what’s seen on stage. Or at least that’s my interpretation.

You are right. I remember maybe a few years back cause she is so damn cute and she doesn't even need to pay extra to put her name on the guitar, you saw Taylor's all over the place especially in Ken and Barbie country.

Well -that seems to be the last word on that subject. At least according to he-who-knows-all. Sheesh!When did God die and leave you in charge?

Dude, Do a little research. I did. All I did was get on You Tube and look at videos of about 10 people playing acoustic guitars on Austin City Limits (cause that is what the OP based his statement on) to see what people were playing. Maybe if I would nave watched 10 more it would have been different just like the OP's observation. To say that one guitar is the be all do all end all and is played more than any guitar is just not true. I know you Gibson guy want it to be, but then there is reality.

You are a CFMartin Fan Boyee. Own it. I do. I actually watch the awards shows unlike most guitar players. Tonnes of hotness and metric buttloads of guitars. My sum of the recent Country Music type awards shows was probably 3 Martins to every one Gibson.

rct

Why are feathers getting ruffled on this thread? It should be a relatively bland topic. Either way, we can play whatever we prefer assuming it's in our price range - and we don't get paid to influence anyone else.

Well guilty. But I've never played a Gibson I like that wasn't a Dread. Those are the expensive ones.HBird, Dove, Songwriter. Slope shoulders sound dull to me. Or I guess its what is called the thump.

Do you own a Gibson guitar?

I do and I've had at least 20 thought my life, LP's, SG's, one Explorer, one J-15, one The Paul, and BB King. I would own a J-200, Hbird or Dove if I didn't have to take out a second mortgage to afford one and I want the full on Standard model. The the ones with rubbed bees wax or a Studio. Not to mention those are usually never in any of the stores that are allowed to carry Gibson.

If you don’t object to used guitars, you can find sone good deals. I got a 2007 Dove for $1700, a 2000 J-200 for $2100. Just takes patience,,,,,,& money! I’m old, & retired. New Gibson’s, or any other high end guitars, are not even a remote possibility anymore! I put together the guitars I will spend the rest of my life with. I’ve got a couple Martins, 5 Gibsons, & a few others. All acoustics. I have a few I would sell, but they aren’t worth that much, so why bother?

He probably got his 'pannies' (good grief!!!) In a bunch because hes sick of reading your think you're funny posts

They're not funny , you're a bore

And you've been a bore since you first posted

No one likes you

Yep.

He probably got his 'pannies' (good grief!!!) In a bunch because hes sick of reading your think you're funny posts

They're not funny , you're a bore

And you've been a bore since you first posted

No one likes you

That,quite simply,was my point.

Naw, there is about 5 or 6 of you guys who try to dictate how it goes on the acoustic page. Other members of the forum don't like, and don't even come to this page anymore because The Mafia try's to intimidate people who don't have the same opinion as them. And that the way you guys want it.

Last thought on this thread. FZ Fan;google the meaning of the word "supercilious" in your copious spare time.

I own two brands of guitars and love them both. And I only come to the acoustic portion of this forum. I do not have blinders on about any guitar brand. As a matter of fact Martin has its share of QC issues in the last five years - much more so than Gibson.

Anyways - point of my post - I dont go on the UMGF and bash Martin, and I dont go to a Gibson-owned forum, or any forum, and bash Gibson. Seems silly.

I also dont go down to the old age home and call everyone old-fashioned, and I dont go to the craft beer forum and tell them to just drink Stella, Heine, or Bud.

This seems a little obvious to me. This isnt hard, and it certainly isnt mafia.

• Upvote 1