Gibson Brands Forums

A look inside the new 2019 61 SG

Rabs

It's great they brought this back with the Lyre. It hasn't been available since 2013 when it was released as the SG Original. My favourite SG of all time, along with a late 60's walnut Custom.

So, this does have a smaller headstock then? Not true to the originals.

Edited by cody78
  • Upvote 1

I seen this review at the other site. For the most part I thought it was well done and very informative.

I will say I was bit surprised to see that hole for the ground wire under the Vibrola tail though. I don't believe the original Vibrola issued SGs came with a hole like that. Going to have to check my 2013 Original.

1557004583[/url]' post='1989951']

It's great they brought this back with the Lyre. It hasn't been available since 2013 when it was released as the SG Original. My favourite SG of all time, along with a late 60's walnut Custom.

So, this does have a smaller headstock then? Not true to the originals.

Yes, it has the smaller headstock. Also, it has the crown in the lower position unlike the early originals and 2013 Original. And while the one in the video seems to be a single piece body, the ones I see on GC, Sweetwater, and Gibson's own site are 2 piece bodies, unlike my 2013 Originals single piece body.

Still, I will say these Standard '61 Maestro Vibrola's are BEAUTIFUL!

• Upvote 1

Yes, it has the smaller headstock. Also, it has the crown in the lower position unlike the early originals and 2013 Original. And while the one in the video seems to be a single piece body, the ones I see on GC, Sweetwater, and Gibson's own site are 2 piece bodies, unlike my 2013 Originals single piece body.

Still, I will say these Standard '61 Maestro Vibrola's are BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks for the info, I didn't get around to watching the full video. It does seem strange to call it the 'original collection', yet have some of the features slightly off. The old 61 reissues/ SG Original seem to be slightly closer to proper specs. That's sort of a shame, but I agree this new version does look beautiful. I'd be interested to know if you found a ground wire hole on your SG Original. Let us all know what you find.

Regarding the headstock, it seems they have the wrong headstock on the 50's/ 60's Les Paul too. It looks like a large one from the images I've seen (though I'm not 100% sure). Seems strange they could make the 1960 Classic with a smaller headstock for years, but not bring it back for these models. Still, they too look like beautiful guitars.

Seems strange they could make the 1960 Classic with a smaller headstock for years, but not bring it back for these models. Still, they too look like beautiful guitars.

I think that's why they stopped making them... Too close to a Historic (at the time)... People were questioning why but a custom..