Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LP Standard 60s

Mike_L

I think the best part of that scratch is if the OP returns the guitar I can buy it at $250 off!

Ok I can't because I'm left handed. But really, those 'blemished' guitars are my go-to buy. I just bought a 2018 SG Std from GC of all places, listed as Excellent. It was obviously bought new and returned. I can't find a flaw on it. Maybe the original owner didn't like the pickups, IDN. But I saved $500 off the original price. In fact I bought it less than a used one on Reverb. From GC of all places! Left handed!!

I get the point, its not perfect, and for $2500 it should be. But those kinds of thinks don't bother me. Before I saw the OP's second picture, I said "OMG thats an amazing guitar, please make one left handed I'll buy it right now". Beautiful guitar nonetheless.

Huh?

Sorry, but I cannot seem to see any thing problematic. Are we talking about the scratch on the fretboard? Just use a small piece of 600 grit to make it disappear, and play it! Just think of all the playing time lost getting another one. Life is just to short.

Besides, you should see my 45+ year old Gibsons... lots of very deep finger nail gouges on the fretboard. Many decades ago, you only bought one (or two guitars if you're lucky) to play. Today, we're lucky to have an over abundance of guitars available for purchase... more guitars to minimize wear on all of them.

Mass production has its benefits in availability and lower cost. With inflation taken into account, the same Les Paul Standard in 2019 is cheaper than a new one in the mid-sixties! The abundance of excellent used guitars is something unimaginable back in the sixties. We're just so blessed and lucky today!

Being an old fart, I now learned to appreciate and value that play time or just having your guitar in your hands is so precious that little imperfection is insignificant!

Well, unless you got OCD... which we all have to certain degree.

Did you pick that from Sweetwater's Guitar Gallery?

Usually, you get to see the exact guitar you're buying there.

If it looked OK in the Gallery, but you got that instead, then send it back.

That's the whole reason for being able to see your purchase prior to delivery.

If you just ordered a guitar without seeing a particular guitar you wanted and got that, well it could have been worse.

Edited by GibSinCity

Did you pick that from Sweetwater's Guitar Gallery?

Usually, you get to see the exact guitar you're buying there.

If it looked OK in the Gallery, but you got that instead, then send it back.

That's the whole reason for being able to see your purchase prior to delivery.

If you just ordered a guitar without seeing a particular guitar you wanted and got that, well it could have been worse.

If you look at the pic with the scratch, its a Sweetwater pic.

If you look at the pic with the scratch, its a Sweetwater pic.

So you knew the scratch would be there?

You sounded surprised at the condition in the original post.

Photos from their "Gallery" show the exact guitar with serial number that you will get.

As opposed to just a standard picture of a guitar when you click on a unit under "Electric Guitars".

At least that's the way it used to be.

If the picture/serial number you saw in their Gallery and ordered doesn't mach the actual condition or serial number of the guitar you received, then that's a problem worth returning it over.

Edited by GibSinCity