Gibson Brands Forums

a quick question.....

SG dude

i didnt really want to put this into a totally different topic, i wouldve just squeezed it in somewhere but couldnt find the right time, so anyway, can anyone tell me if the SG standard is a one piece body or not, and also how do you tell, other than from weight??

once again thanks guys!!

SG dude.

if your lucky it'll be 2 pieces,

look down the back of the guitar with light shining on it and look for "seams" where two pieces of wood come together. if a guitar is super fresh and has a healthy dose of nitro and paint, you might not be able to tell

most sg's, to the best of my knowledge,are 2 or 3 piece bodies

yeah, it blows

i've got a SG Standard (2005) that i bought second-hand off a guy on craigslist, it's a 1-piece body. He said he picked it out from 5 or 6 others at a guitar center when he bought it.

I've never really thought to check them out when i go to guitar shops anymore as i'm not in the market, but this is a good one.

if your lucky it'll be 2 pieces' date='

look down the back of the guitar with light shining on it and look for "seams" where two pieces of wood come together. if a guitar is super fresh and has a healthy dose of nitro and paint, you might not be able to tell

most sg's, to the best of my knowledge,are 2 or 3 piece bodies

yeah, it blows[/quote']

Is is a good thing?

look down the back of the guitar with light shining on it and look for "seams" where two pieces of wood come together.

It's not just from the back, you can also see a clear line shooting straight up the middle of the front of the guitar if it's a two-piece body. '61RIs are also two-piece bodies for the most part, I believe.

If it´s a standard, it´s very likely two or three piece. What colour is it? Anything you can see through to the wood?

If yes, look for straight lines on the body lengthwise. A flashlight (maglite for example) may help.

If not, it may not be possible to tell for sure. You could remove the pickups for example to look inside whether there are any seams. Or remove the electronics cover on the back. There´s not as much laquer inside, so this could help.

By the way, I don´t think you´d hear any difference in sound between a one piece and three or two piece body. I don´t! I like my A.Y. SG and my Les Paul, both one piece, but I also like my "The SG", four pieces and my Chis Rea signature mexico Strat, supposed to be 5 or even 7 pieces. Who knows? It´s Fiesta Red. I can´t see through the finish and I didn´t bother to look inside yet.

Greetings

Kurt

My 2007 Standard is one solid piece. Rare? Perhaps but a fact nonetheless.

That´s what my very likely´s all about. I do believe that there are one piece standards, specials, fadeds and so on. But it´s not very likely. I even don´t know whether the Angus always has to be one piece. Doesn´t say anything about it on Gibsons product page. While the V.O.S. for example is advertised as one piece. Who knows? If I like a guitar I don´t care.

Generally nowadays the only 1-piece gimme's for SG's are the Historics, the Custom Shop "Inspired" and such, the '61 Reissue and the Angus. Most of the time, unless they just happen to have some big enough pieces lying around that didn't make the grade for the CS stuff it's unlikely to find 1-piece bodies on anything else. I've seen a couple USA Standards here and there leak out with either 1-piece or undetectable 2-piece bodies, but most of the time if you look hard enough you can see a seam (usually more noticeable on the back of the guitar because they do a decent job of hiding it from the front).

Keep in mind that technically (and sonically) there's nothing wrong with a properly built multipiece body. Unless it's not glued right of course (in which case it'd be in a dumpster because the finishing process will give it away in most instances). But no difference in sustain, tone or any of the other criteria one normally cares to worry him or herself about. The only complaints I have are when the pieces are poorly matched in appearance and it sticks out like a sore thumb, but MOST of the time they save the mismatched ones for the solid finishes where it doesn't matter.

H-Bomb

Keep in mind that technically (and sonically) there's nothing wrong with a properly built multipiece body. Unless it's not glued right of course (in which case it'd be in a dumpster because the finishing process will give it away in most instances). But no difference in sustain' date=' tone or any of the other criteria one normally cares to worry him or herself about. The only complaints I have are when the pieces are poorly matched in appearance and it sticks out like a sore thumb, but MOST of the time they save the mismatched ones for the solid finishes where it doesn't matter.

H-Bomb[/quote']

I also believe that you won´t hear the difference. Only thing is the looks. And of course it´s cheaper for Gibson and better for the environment. My question would be if it´s worth the money they´re asking for a piece of left-overs glued together. But this can only be answered playing the particular guitar.

Kurt

cheers guys. i was at a guitar shop today and i actually found a one peice body SG!!! seriously! it was heritage cherry but, another annoying thing, the heritage cherry nowadays looks slightly orange, or maybe its just me?

You are not crazy.... GIbson is. I looked and looked, and found nothing but orange SGs Standards for an entire year at GC. In the end I gave up and bought one, orang-ish and all, and it is growing on me.

cheers guys. i was at a guitar shop today and i actually found a one peice body SG!!! seriously! it was heritage cherry but' date=' another annoying thing, the heritage cherry nowadays looks slightly orange, or maybe its just me?[/quote']

it was heritage cherry but' date=' another annoying thing, the heritage cherry nowadays looks slightly orange, or maybe its just me?[/quote']

No, they're either orangey, tannish with a slight hint of red or almost a bubblegum color. It's called cheaping-out on the dyes and paints and whatnot, and it's kind of an insult to call it "cherry". Because "Heritage Cherry" used to mean an almost WINE RED-ish deep red, but since the early part of the decade they've gradually gotten more and more stingy with the paint supplies, resulting in a lack of true-cherry. It wouldn't be so bad if they offered multiple shades of "cherry" ("new", "aged"/dark, "faded"/lighter and "washed"/nonexistent), but I don't like not being able to get a nonfaded red finish.

H-Bomb

No' date=' they're either orangey, tannish with a slight hint of red or almost a bubblegum color. It's called cheaping-out on the dyes and paints and whatnot, and it's kind of an insult to call it "cherry". Because "Heritage Cherry" used to mean an almost WINE RED-ish deep red, but since the early part of the decade they've gradually gotten more and more stingy with the paint supplies, resulting in a lack of true-cherry. It wouldn't be so bad if they offered multiple shades of "cherry" ("new", "aged"/dark, "faded"/lighter and "washed"/nonexistent), but I don't like not being able to get a nonfaded red finish.

H-Bomb[/quote']

I have NO Idea what you are talking about. Mine's beautiful!

DSC_0031.jpg

See any lines? Looks to me like to grain's going WAY the wrong way to be a multi-piece body.

DSC_0042.jpg

No' date=' they're either orangey, tannish with a slight hint of red or almost a bubblegum color. It's called cheaping-out on the dyes and paints and whatnot, and it's kind of an insult to call it "cherry". Because "Heritage Cherry" used to mean an almost WINE RED-ish deep red, but since the early part of the decade they've gradually gotten more and more stingy with the paint supplies, resulting in a lack of true-cherry. It wouldn't be so bad if they offered multiple shades of "cherry" ("new", "aged"/dark, "faded"/lighter and "washed"/nonexistent), but I don't like not being able to get a nonfaded red finish.

H-Bomb[/quote']

How disrespectful.... [-X

My '79 "The SG" Walnut is in the case right now, but I swear it's 5 or 6 pieces. Really......

Sustains for days. Vibrates the windows in the house.

UNPLUGGED........

When I plugged it into a Marshall 4100 (JCM900) 1/2 stack to record the DOUBLE AUGHT cd (cdbaby.com) in Paducah Ky., there were small Earthquakes along the New Madrid fault line.

You simply can't argue with history.

Murph.

My '79 "The SG" Walnut is in the case right now' date=' but I swear it's 5 or 6 pieces. Really......

UNPLUGGED........

When I plugged it into a Marshall 4100 (JCM900) 1/2 stack to record the DOUBLE AUGHT cd (cdbaby.com) in Paducah Ky., there were small Earthquakes along the New Madrid fault line.

Murph.[/quote']

So its a good thing?

How disrespectful.... :-

So what? I get a spanking now? I don't know you that well yet. #-o

I'm not saying there haven't been a batch or two shipped that were better-finished and the people didn't water-down the mixture' date=' I've seen a few myself (saw a 2008 '61 Reissue that would've been great if it weren't for the crappy clearcoat job...the color was alright actually). I'm just saying that, as a whole, the "disrespectful" stereotype fits.

So spank me if you must, but I only knows what I sees. :D/

My '79 "The SG" Walnut is in the case right now, but I swear it's 5 or 6 pieces. Really......

UNPLUGGED........

Murph.

A lot of those Norlin-era ones might not have looked as sexy as their predecessors, but there's no arguing that those suckers can rattle a bone or two. And multi-piece or not, they're solid as a friggin' rock, for sure.

H-Bomb

Archived