Gibson Brands Forums

So how do you write your guitar solos?

rocketman

Just curious as to how everyone does it. I basically just shoot from the hip and then usually make slight mods to it.

a recent example off a pretty standard blues scale with a little touch of mixolydian here and there...

You're a much better soloist than I am. But, much like you, I don't work them out ahead time. I usually have something set up that I start with and sometimes something I end with but the rest is just however it happens. Although, I do have a couple of solos that have worked themselves out over time that I more or less stick to and some that are more or less close to consistent when I play them.

I don't improvise solos out of some sort of snobbery about improvising or only playing with feeling or grooving or whatever. Fact of the matter is that it's just plain easier to just go for it on the spot than try to work out solos outside of band rehearsal and then practice them until they're always consistent and then stick to them live. Bottom line: I'm lazy.

You're a much better soloist than I am. But' date=' much like you, I don't work them out ahead time. I usually have something set up that I start with and sometimes something I end with but the rest is just however it happens. Although, I do have a couple of solos that have worked themselves out over time that I more or less stick to and some that are more or less close to consistent when I play them.

I don't improvise solos out of some sort of snobbery about improvising or only playing with feeling or grooving or whatever. Fact of the matter is that it's just plain easier to just go for it on the spot than try to work out solos outside of band rehearsal and then practice them until they're always consistent and then stick to them live. Bottom line: I'm lazy.

[/quote']

I'll just quote RichCI's post cuz I'd just be rehashing .

well, i just put every part of a song together, figure where the solo will be thrown in and fire.

i tweak it and add or subtract parts, and eventually i have the solo memorized the way i like it

and my little bro helps me out by telling me what sucks and what's good

It really depends on the song. Although I usually Improvise the lead section until it writes itself. Sometimes that's a couple times, sometimes thats a month. I have written out solos one note at a time. I'd record the chord run, then Play and Pause it while playing a Note or two that sounded good then move on to the next few beats and find notes that worked, but that was an experiment more than anything.

I try to let the song dictate the type of feel the solo has, like Axe said, it should compliment it. Although some songs are meant to be dominated, that still compliments the song that it is. Unlike Axe, I over play the hell out of it the first run through, then whittle it down 'till it's a Musical statment, instead of Scale Wanking. Some solos stay Improv and never sound the same twice.

BTW Axe, your Avatar really creeps me out, and I'm not easy to creep out. I think it's the ears when it turns it's head. What is it?

I get as high as I can and jam on it until I have all the main licks worked out. I do this probably 10 times a solo and by then I have the skeleton of the solo so I can still improvise a little bit but if I happen to feel uninspired that day I have something to fall back on.

Good job, Rocketman!

I also like the from the hip approach. I ALWAYS play too many notes, though, and I have to rework and find in all those notes what I really am trying to say. So, even though the from the hip approach is how I start, I take Axe's idea into mind when I'm trying to find my statement. I try to make sure the solo compliments, but I'm not good enough yet to always make that happen.

It's how I write ... lol

Most of my stuff has a dark creepy mood to it lately

AXE®' date=' wow you do get dark. I think you need to listen to some yoga music.

a tune I quickly whipped up playing around with my new digital synth package. It's completely on the opposite spectrum of the guitar solo. Put my Gibsons in there just for you. Listen and watch it during a Downward Facing Dog relaxation pose (he he he).

i jam with the band, and the solo licks that come out usually get refined to a better and better solo each time,

get a main idea and work with it, until the i get the right feel for the solo, then i try to keep the certain feel for the certain song while varying and switching it up

To me, a solo is like a fingerprint, it's never the same twice, again, to me. The thing I love about soloing is the complete improvisation of it..."winging it", if you will. In any of my originals, no matter how many times I've played them, the solos are always different. They've never been "written", just done.

Generally, I have a start and stop sound and/or structure but everything inbetween is almost totally improvisation.

I've found that playing with the same band over time even the improv begins to sound similar and it turns into more of a structured solo unless or until it becomes an extended break.

One band I played in for all the solos it almost exclusively improvised until we went into the studio to record. While in the studio I improvised the solos, but from then out every time we played those songs I played how it was on the tape.

Archived