Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul PCB Board

HNS

Aren't the pot shaft lengths different on a Gibson vs Epiphone cause of the thickness of the maple?

I wouldn't think so. I wanna think that they would compensate the width with the mahogany or other wood if they are using a maple veneer.

Pot shafts and everything else used to be different, or people would just make Epiphones into Gibsons. Everything on an Epi is a pain in the ***, to my recollection.

rct

• Upvote 2

I'm pretty sure that Gibson USA uses long shaft and Epi's are short. However, if you use a washer and nut as a spacer you can easily use a long shaft pot in a Epi. Not sure about the PCB mounted pots but it would probably still work.

And don't forget that Epis have smaller diameter holes for the shaft. When you enlarge those, don't use a drill because it will likely crack the finish. Use a round file.

Edited by Black Dog
  • Upvote 1

Thanks everybody .... It's what I thought.

In this case it won't even work on Gibson Les Paul Studio given the difference in the thickness of the maple cap as well, or am I wrong?

Cheers

H

In this case it won't even work on Gibson Les Paul Studio given the difference in the thickness of the maple cap as well, or am I wrong?

Cheers

H

The standard Gibson LP pots usually do the have long mounting shafts but also have 2 nuts on them allowing you to adjust them to the correct height, so they won't stick out too far. But the short shaft pot is also used on Gibson's with thinner tops and bodies..

Also Epiphone parts are metric not USA standard usually making their pot shaft a hair or two smaller in diameter.. Which is why if you install a Gibson knob on an Epiphone splined shaft it will usually fall off. The reverse of that is if you buy Asian knobs for USA Gibson pots they will be too tight and need to be drilled out a tiny bit.. If you try to force them on, the Asian knobs usually crack or break the pot shaft...

These are web images,.... This is of CTS replacement pots for a Gibson..

yce2qcvizzkih5bcnlho.png

Epiphone Les Paul's use a mahogany sculpted top with a thin maple laminate, a different method of construction from the Gibson LP. Actual thickness would not be the same but not critical, the real problem is that the Gibson PCB hole pattern is most likely not exactly the same..

Gibson LP PCB..........

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

my Gibson Studio maple cap is as thick as any standard.. so no.. Gibson Les Paul with binding or without is still a USA Gibson Les Paul

Cheers

H