Gibson Brands Forums

Marty Stuart

livemusic

Ages ago, in the early '70s, Prune Johnson and I decided to climb in the car and head down to Nashville because neither of us had ever been there before. We got into town and as Dame Fortune would have it, there was a bluegrass show with several acts at the Ryman. We paid the paltry ticket price (it was the early '70s...) and were treated to a great show.

Lester Flatt came on with his band, The Nashville Grass, and it featured a 13-year-old kid on mandolin. He tore up the place. It was Marty Stuart.

Marty's been tearing up every stage he's ever been on. The guy's great.

Edited by dhanners623

No love for Kenny Vaughn? Kenny is the "Poindexter" looking dude with the deadpan face making everyone else sound good. He knows every slick like and some of his own, from Traditional Country, to Punk. I have seen him play some pretty heavy stuff with guests on the MS show, and NEVER a grimace. He does it all with a straight face. Marty calls him his "guitar soulmate".

Kenny is my hero. Right up there with Steuart Smith. Both of them play really good stuff with a straight face. :)

Yes, there is plenty of love for Cousin Kenny - he is perfect for Marty's band.