Gibson Brands Forums

Trip To Toms - Current Agenda

uncle fester

Hey Folks,

Just having a little fun (and Tom apologies for the intrusion...) but there was a post showing an early AJ side by side with it's peer Martin. That got me thinking to a fantasy comparison I would love to do some day, and when I go hardcore day dream about guitar comparisons, it always starts at Tom's kitchen table having a little lunch before taking a trip through his collection. For this go around, the guitar's I would target are an original jumbo, an early AJ, and an early J35, and then the appropriate Martin counterparts just to do my due diligence. And some small bodied something or other .

I know several of you have collections, but for those of us playing with a limited stable - what would your agenda be if you were to have an afternoon at Tom's? Even if it's not in Tom's stable, what would be a holy grail guitar to get to try?

Disclaimer, an afternoon at Tom's is not an actual thing, nobody wins any trip anywhere by replying, but if you did win a trip...

Rgds - billroy

I'd like to compare some reissues to the real thing. I have a J45 Banner and a Legend. To my ears the Legend wins but my Banner sample has been through a lot. I have a '42 LG1 and it's reissue. Original wins by a mile.

Some Reissues I would like to compare to the originals

'34 Jumbo

'32 L00

Martin HD28 BRW

J45 Legend

Century of Progress

SJ Rosewood

Stage Deluxe (to a Radio Grande)

L5

Edited by Dave F

Id like to compare some reissues to the real thing. I have a J45 Banner and a Legend. To my ears the a Legend wins but my Banner sample has been through a lot. I have a 42 LG1 and its reissue. Original wins by a mile.

Some Reissues I would like to compare to the originals

SJ Rosewood

Stage Deluxe (to a Radio Grande)

Tell me more about your rosewood SJ. Tom, of course, has that legendary FON 910.

Modern Smeck vs. vintage Smeck would also be a good comparison. Tom has some good ones.

Here's Jackson Browne playing one of his original Smecks. (As has been pointed out before, the little finger on Browne's fretting hand is as long as his ring finger, which is an astonishing fluke for a guitarist to have.) This one is really unbelievable in the cans with the volume cranked, although the recording is not perfect.

Not sure what he was using for in-guitar electronics back then, but it certainly doesn't seem get in the way of the "real" guitar. This song is done tuned down a half step, with the 1st and 6th strings tuned down another full step. The result is basically open C# tuning.

It takes a big, deep box like a Smeck to pull that off and still maintain clarity without turning to mush. This one certainly does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOoeoiO-3C0

Edited by j45nick

I'd like to compare some reissues to the real thing.

Hadn't thought of that, yes that would be a good afternoon!

I would just look in the window and wave. Would be too nervous that I'd break something if I went inside there. ;)

Once confirmed you weren't paparazzi, you'd be brought in for a proper introduction.

Here's Jackson Browne playing one of his original Smecks. This song is done tuned down a half step, with the 1st and 6th strings tuned down another full step. The result is basically open C# tuning.

It takes a big, deep box like a Smeck to pull that off and still maintain clarity without turning to mush. This one certainly does:

Did sound good, never thought of lower tunings turning to mush in some guitars, need to do some more research on those Smecks.

"This song is done tuned down a half step, with the 1st and 6th strings tuned down another full step. The result is basically open C# tuning."

Hmmm, that seems like Double Dropped D tuning except it's down another half step, so, I guess it could be called Double Dropped Db or Double Dropped C# tuning.

"This song is done tuned down a half step, with the 1st and 6th strings tuned down another full step. The result is basically open C# tuning."

Hmmm, that seems like Double Dropped D tuning except it's down another half step, so, I guess it could be called Double Dropped Db or Double Dropped C# tuning.

that IS double Drop D, the additional half step would be just that. Call it what they may but that's it.

that IS double Drop D, the additional half step would be just that. Call it what they may but that's it.

Yes, it is. Sorry for creating confusion.

The open tuning is C# G# C# F# A# C# (string 6 to 1).

Edited by j45nick

I've yet to travel the double drop d path. I remember my first time... in regular drop d, and it was quite impressionable (resulted in sheriff brown). maybe it's time for a walk on the wild side and trying some double drop.