Gibson Brands Forums

Help to identify if it's a real Gibson

maxcruz

Hi fellows,

I need some help to identify if this guitar is a real Gibson or a fake one because I don't have the authenticity certificate. The model should be "Gibson Les Paul Standard Alpine Tribute 60's 2002"

Could do you please take a look at the pictures and share your opinion about it?

I received the guitar as payment and the sound is great, however, I keep the doubt if it's a fake or not.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Picture 5

Picture 6

Thanks so much

mmm i dont know, the cavity looks funny, the "made in usa" looks like my niece did it with a knife, and i think i saw a screw on the bridge , and if so its a Chinese copy

Here is another picture of the bridge. The guitar apparently was painted.

My link

Thanks for your comments. I will sell the guitar soon and to determine if I received a fake Gibson is very important to reduce a lot the selling price and make a fair deal.

Based on the serial# and photos we're going to vote that it's a counterfeit.

Note that the serial number (06121968) would indicate that it was stamped on the 612th day of 2001...hmm

Do go ahead and send the photos and details on where it was purchased from to service@gibson.com and we'll review further.

Send a pic and the serial number to Gibson. They promptly respond and will send additional info if they have it.

I sent pics to Gibson and they confirmed my doubts. It's a fake one. Thanks for the recommendation, very good advice.

Based on the serial# and photos we're going to vote that it's a counterfeit.

Note that the serial number (06121968) would indicate that it was stamped on the 612th day of 2001...hmm

Do go ahead and send the photos and details on where it was purchased from to service@gibson.com and we'll review further.

Thanks, I already sent the pictures to customer service and they confirmed that this guitar isn't a real Gibson.

I was scammed and was my mistake receiving the guitar without taking the time to confirm the precedence (Sadly this guitar wasn't cheap). I will donate it or sell it painting the logo to avoid more scams.

Just as a suggestion, It would be great to have a service online to identify fake guitars analyzing pics using machine learning and some blockchain mechanism to track digital certificates and validate the serial number.

Again, thanks all to help me clarify my doubts.

Edited by maxcruz

Thanks, I already sent the pictures to customer service and they confirmed that this guitar isn't a real Gibson.

I was scammed and was my mistake receiving the guitar without taking the time to confirm the precedence (Sadly this guitar wasn't cheap). I will donate it or sell it painting the logo to avoid more scams.

Just as a suggestion, It would be great to have a service online to identify fake guitars analyzing pics using machine learning and some blockchain mechanism to track digital certificates and validate the serial number.

Again, thanks all to help me clarify my doubts.

I am really sorry you went went through this and spent the money on a fake.

If you ever decide to buy another Gibson, please come back here before shelling out the money, there's a lot of guys here that can spot a fake in 2 seconds.

...It would be great to have a service online to identify fake guitars analyzing pics using machine learning and some blockchain mechanism to track digital certificates and validate the serial number...

Sorry to hear you were scammed.

As far as the rest of your post; there are a great many very informative links on-line - including (I believe) on the main Gibson site itself - showing the most obvious and commonly-found mistakes which counterfeiters keep getting wrong. Be warned, though, that there are a few counterfeiters who can make very, very good copies and it is sometimes difficult to tell these fakes simply from looking at a few pictures.

And using a serial number is a notoriously unreliable way to verify a guitar's provenance as, more often than not, the counterfeiters stamp genuine Gibson serial numbers into the guitars they make. Sometimes, oddly enough, they stamp the same serial number into hundreds (if not thousands) of guitars - we've seen it illustrated here quite a few times - so even something as simple as running the serial number through a google search can, on the odd occasion, be sufficient to flag-up a well-used fake serial.

If you are still considering buying a Gibson it would be well worth your while familiarising yourself with the 'How to spot a Fake' links on-line.

Good luck.

P.

Edited by pippy
  • Upvote 1