Gibson Brands Forums

"U Don't Know Me"

BluesKing777

I recently got a Seymour Duncan Mag Mic soundhole pickup and at laaaaa-a--a-ast I have a pickup that fits my old Martin OM18V!

So what am I to play, I thought - something different?.........so I went through all the usual type suspects and then plugged the pickup direct to my Tonedexter but with the images OFF/Bypass..it smoothed out the pickup tone a bit.

And then I was going though a book I have of '101 Country Greats', so here we are back in 1955 with my semi-croon bluesy don't know version of "You Don'T Know Me' by Eddie Arnold and Cindy Walker:

BluesKing777.

Fantastic stuff!!

I love my MagMic. I alternate between my AJ with Sunrise and my '41 Reissue SJ100 with MagMic for the main chunk of my live work. Neither are better or worse than the other, which is exceptionally high praise for the MagMic as the Sunrise is outstanding, and an iconic pickup.

Very cool BK.

I love that tune, and your upbeat swing version is great.

Several years ago at a Chet festival in Nashville, someone recorded this with Jack Pearson and Joscho Stephan... in a hotel lobby. The singers name is Laura Spence. I've watched it every few months since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0B2ZxDFTLI

Edited by ThemisSal

I’m a little biased toward the original recording which is one of my all time favorites but you did a good job with it. I’m not sure about it being a ragtime tune. Cindy Walker wrote so many hits. She left her songs to the Country Music HOF and the royalties still bring in over a couple million dollars a year. She had a secret crush on Bob Wills for whom she wrote many hits and this song was of that hidden love

• Upvote 1

I love that tune, and your upbeat swing version is great.

Several years ago at a Chet festival in Nashville, someone recorded this with Jack Pearson and Joscho Stephan... in a hotel lobby. The singers name is Laura Spence. I've watched it every few months since.

Nice version Sal, reminds me of a version of 'Summertime' a friend did at an impromptu gathering one day. I don't have a recording of it, but still think back as one of the most magical songs / performances I had ever seen. This woman really reminds me of my friend. good stuff!

Hey thanks for the replies!

Yeah, that was the first take.....more getting an idea down than full production.

I could have sworn I heard Peggy Lee sing it, but on looking through the Internet, I find she is about the only one who hasn’t done it!

(I learned the vocal lines in the book on guitar first, so that’s what I sang.....helped a lot).

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777