Gibson Brands Forums

What’s the loudest Gibson you’ve played or owned?

70's Gibson Heritage - allegedly the last one produced in Kalamazoo.

Well, if it's from the '70s, then it's not the last Heritage made. Their production continued into the '80s.

Regardless, I had one from the early '70s, and a good one can tonally be quite a pleasant surprise!

And I just got a Bedell - Gibson and Martin should be talikng to this guy. Just a outstanding guitar from out of Bend Oregon.

This would be coming out of the Breedlove facility. They have many years of fine guitar & mandolin experience to lean on. Picked up one of their mandolins from 2010 a few years ago - quality construction at every turn, and a lovely tone. Unfortunately, they are no longer building mandolins in the USA (outsourced to the pacific rim).

This would be coming out of the Breedlove facility. They have many years of fine guitar & mandolin experience to lean on. Picked up one of their mandolins from 2010 a few years ago - quality construction at every turn, and a lovely tone. Unfortunately, they are no longer building mandolins in the USA (outsourced to the pacific rim).

I bought this one used. I think these are all sighed by Tom Bedell. To be honest I never knew about these till this one came along a couple weeks ago the sound, tone, clarity is all there. The guitar is as light as a feather. And very well contructed the braces are very clean.

As mentioned prior Gibson and Marin even Taylor should be taking note of these. Sometimes being the best is sometimes Not better.

Yes, the AJs. But the '36 L-00 was a more raucous guitar. "Then there was that time" when it was brought in to the Guitar Center for appraisal (what a hoot), and the GC Saturday metalheads got a surprise as they were shredding away all amped up- the little old Gibson could do loud (if it wanted to) without all of that.

My AJ is pretty loud, though our old Kalamazoo KG-11 holds its own, especially for such a little guitar. From the same people who brought you the L-00. Raucous is a good word to describe the Kalamazoo as well.

Well, if it's from the '70s, then it's not the last Heritage made. Their production continued into the '80s.

Regardless, I had one from the early '70s, and a good one can tonally be quite a pleasant surprise!

You're correct - the Heritage model doesn't get enough credit. Sorry for the (decade wide😱) typo, and thank you for catching it!

I have to say, my '73 Hummingbird is LOUD! Another one I used to play that was loud in 1970 or so, was a Yamaha, something like FG-85 or something, but way to much early 1970's happened for me to really remember the number. I do remember it being very loud. But this Hummingbird is LOUD. That was part of what attracted me to it.

Likely the Dove.  However, I fingerpick 99.9% of the time and plug-in when I play gigs, so how loud a guitar naturally is isn't a big deal for me.  The Dove has exceptional volume, but even if it didn't, I'd play it a lot.  Real nice instrument........