Gibson Brands Forums

Have new amp, please help with choosing guitar

yoshiii1

Hello

I have a Mesa Rec o veb 25. I want to buy a guitar.

I am looking at the Gibson 50's Les Paul new model, the Les Paul Classic 2019 model, the new Les Paul Junior Double Cut, Epiphone Lucille, Fender Nashville Tele Deluxe.

I am going to play music in the styles of The Cure, Foo Fighters, Sound Garden.

I can buy one guitar, a Les Paul Classic 2019 and buy a 2nd guitar in couple of months, or buy a Les Paul Junior Double cut and the Epiphone Lucille or the Epiphone Lucille and the Fender Nashville Tele Deluxe or do credit stuff and get a Gibson 50's Les Paul and buy another guitar in a couple of months.

Which combos or single would be best to get?

Is it worth buying a Les Paul Classic 2019 with the circut board wiring and quick connect pickups?

Please give opinions.

If it were me, I'd play each of them and see which one resonates with me the most. Dialing in that amp and the guitar shouldn't be terribly difficult. I'm anxious to try the "new" Les Paul Standards as well. The main thing for me is the playability of each and the sound I'm looking for. That's probably not real helpful but people have different tastes and sounds they like. And, people have different thoughts about what kind of neck and action feels good to them.

If it were me, I'd play each of them and see which one resonates with me the most. Dialing in that amp and the guitar shouldn't be terribly difficult. I'm anxious to try the "new" Les Paul Standards as well. The main thing for me is the playability of each and the sound I'm looking for. That's probably not real helpful but people have different tastes and sounds they like. And, people have different thoughts about what kind of neck and action feels good to them.

Thanks,

I like all of them, its which one to try first.

The amp I have is at home, so cant try out the guitars with it before I buy.

While you gave us some of the music you're going for, you didn't tell us much about the environment you're planning to be in.

If your a home based player/recorder, I'd say you've got all the amp you need. and at the end of the day no matter what guitar or amp you're using, you're still going to sound like YOU.

The sound of the people you aspire to is more in their hands than in their gear. Save yourself the angst of chasing their sound, you'll never 100% achieve that. This is just how it works.

Mesa Rectoverb amps are nothing to sneeze at. They're pretty well built units.

With the VAST selection of overdrive pedals, and many sound decent to surprisingly GOOD when pushing a reasonably good tube amp, it becomes less an issue what features the amp is loaded with.

I'd be putting the focus on the guitars, that's really where the rubber meets the road.

Unless you're in a situation where 25 watts isn't cutting it, and if that's the case, I'm kinda glad I'm not working in the band you're working in.

Edited by kidblast
  • Upvote 2

All of the guitars you have listed are all very good but also very different, each one has its own unique sound. A junior DC has a single powerful and dirty P90 while the while the Tele's tend to be very bright and clean, the Classic would give you lots of sustain and good tone while Lucille would provide the widest selection of sound with its 6 position Vari-Tone switch..

If you are more of a rhythm player you might enjoy the Tele but if plan on playing powerful searing leads and power cords you may need the Classic.. All of the machines on your wish list are VERY capable and what you get out of the is in your hands......

Best thing is to go to a brick and mortar store and see, feel and hear them..

The Les Paul Classic should get you there for all of them, more about settings and pedals ........Robert Smith in his early days ( and I am sure later on) used Fender Jaguars and possibly jazzmasters....with smith it's clean(ish) tone and flanger, flanger and a side order of flanger!...msp_thumbup.gif

• Upvote 3

Honestly, the 2019 LP Classic or the new LP Classic (modern collection) should be akin to the new LP Standard 60s, with added push/pull capabilities. I’d say it’s one of the best Gibson USA models out there. I’d try to play it back to back with a Standard 50s, which has a chunkier neck and lower output pickups. Either the Standard 50s or the Classic will get you there, it’s just a matter of which one feels and sounds better to you. The Classic is arguably more versatile because of the push/pull capabilities. With that said, Gibson sprinkled some extra magic powder on those Standard 50s. It’s still the honeymoon period, but I’ve been catching myself smiling when I’m playing mine.

I'm partial to LPs.  There's really almost nothing you can't do with one.  The Classic gives you all the push pull options, but I've had those features before and never used them. 

I think if you had the new LP Standard 50s and eventually got a Tele with single coils, you'd be all set for anything, until you need a vibrato.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Black Dog said:

I'm partial to LPs.  There's really almost nothing you can't do with one.  The Classic gives you all the push pull options, but I've had those features before and never used them. 

I think if you had the new LP Standard 50s and eventually got a Tele with single coils, you'd be all set for anything, until you need a vibrato.

Absolutely. Personally I regard the Telecaster as the Bettercaster. With that said, I can’t see my go to be anything other than a LP. 

• Upvote 1

Well what I have learned about Gibsons and actually almost all guitars is that each one is ever so slightly different because they are hand finished, even the cheap ones.

The tiny differences in neck angle, neck shape and hardware setup make a HUGE difference to the player. So really while we can give pointers, only you will know when you find the right one.

Its why the ONLY thing to do is go out there an play as many as you can.. Because when you find "the one" you will know it instantly..  Its a bit of work but worth the effort I assure you … The second piece of advice on this.. When you try them in the shops make sure you try it through the most similar amp to what you have at home.. Its all too easy to go and buy a guitar and play through some super expensive amp which sounds great in the shop but can lead to some disappointment when you get it home.

Well good luck on your hunt and come back and share some pictures of what ever you end up with 👍

Edited by Rabs
  • Upvote 1