Gibson Brands Forums

David Gilmour Auction On-line Catalogue

pippy

My hard copy of the catalogue landed on the doormat this morning and, having just checked, I see that the online catalogue is now 'live'. Some (all?) of the estimates are silly-low so I don't think I'll bother getting my hopes up for acquiring any of the instruments but, having said that, Lot #5 might be of interest to jdgm....

https://www.christies.com/salelanding/index.aspx?intsaleid=28021&lid=1&saletitle=

Pip.

.....Lot #5 might be of interest to jdgm....

Pip.

Thankyou - I have one. [smile]

It is the first guitar I bought from Mr Knight, back in....1978? It cost £275 and I think the case was extra.

A few years later I bought another one which had belonged to Alan Parker - I no longer have that.

However here is mine -

Knightac1.jpg

KnightACFeb13Web.jpg

KnightacbackWeb.jpg

Edited by jdgm
  • Upvote 2

I like the look of lot 15, the 40s Gretch archtop...
Me Too!!!

Thankyou - I have one. [smile]......

I thought you had a couple of his creations but couldn't remember the models. You also have an f-hole archtop of his if my memory serves? I didn't know anything about Mr. Knight but he has obviously gained a reputation amongst those in the know.

I call dibs on all his Martin's.

Fair enough. Except for Lot #116 - the 0-28VS.

I'll have all his BlackGuards......msp_smile.gif......Imagine having not just one Broadcaster but a pair! - numbers 0040 and 0053; pretty much as early as you could find. Add to that pairing the 0543 Esquire, the 2846 Tele, Strat 0549 and, of course, 0001 and my GAS would be sated for a little while.

More realistically I'd happily go for Lot #59; the plastic Maccaferri - just about the lowest-priced guitar in the catalogue but I've loved them since seeing Jeff Beck playing one ( which was given to him by Jimmy Page!).

Pip.

Wow that looks cool!! Is that back bubinga?

He always referred to it as Tabasco mahogany, i.e. from that area in South Mexico.

English folk guitarist John Renbourn also had one which he didn't get on with.

It has a long (25 1/2") scale and is built very sturdily indeed!

My hard copy of the catalogue landed on the doormat this morning and, having just checked, I see that the online catalogue is now 'live'. Some (all?) of the estimates are silly-low so I don't think I'll bother getting my hopes up for acquiring any of the instruments but, having said that, Lot #5 might be of interest to jdgm....

https://www.christies.com/salelanding/index.aspx?intsaleid=28021&lid=1&saletitle=

Pip.

I got one too.. But I got mine last night for free.. My sisters partner is a delivery driver and was the person who picked up these books (9000 of them apparently) and he got a free sample which he gave to me :D Lots of drool worthy stuff in there [thumbup]

• Upvote 1

He always referred to it as Tabasco mahogany, i.e. from that area in South Mexico.

English folk guitarist John Renbourn also had one which he didn't get on with.

It has a long (25 1/2") scale and is built very sturdily indeed!

Interesting! I’ve personally never seen mahogany with such wavy grain. I initially thought bubinga because that wavy grain and color look like the fretboard on my Ric

Love that inlay on the back as well. The checkers also remind me of Ric!

Don’t think I’ve ever played a 25 1/2” acoustic

I got one too.. But I got mine last night for free.. My sisters partner is a delivery driver and was the person who picked up these books (9000 of them apparently) and he got a free sample which he gave to me :D Lots of drool worthy stuff in there [thumbup]...

Nice sample to receive. I congratulate you!

msp_thumbup.gif

And yes, there is a whole lot of interesting stuff in there in the text as well as the pics. I'm going to go slightly off-topic here - I trust the OP will forgive me - but I read the bit on page 19 where they explain how the three-piece back became a feature on the D-35 Martins with interest and this is something which, as a a luthier yourself, will strike a chord (Ho!). There is quite a bit of crossover (for me) with the catalogue and FZF's Martin thread - having just bought a D-35 himself - because (as I mentioned in his aforementioned thread) my own very first acoustic, bought in 1980, was made by the Kiso-Suzuki Violin Company and was based on the D-35 - mainly due to the three-piece back style of construction - although the K-S has a figured maple centre with two rosewood wings in place of the rosewood trio as used by Martin;

Kiso-Suzuki-Pair-lo-res.jpg

...Don't think I've ever played a 25 1/2" acoustic...

Really, Dub? That surprises me a little bit. I don't have much experience of acoustics myself (relatively speaking) but having checked the three I do have one - the Epi Hummingbird - is 24.75" and both the Kiso-Suzuki and my early 1940's Antoine Di Mauro 'Modele Special Chorus' are 25.5" which is partly why (crossover again) I think the OM Martin series would be more to my liking than the 00 / 000 style.

Pip.

Edited by pippy

.....my own very first acoustic, bought in 1980, was made by the Kiso-Suzuki Violin Company and was based on the D-35 - mainly due to the three-piece back style of construction - although the K-S has a figured maple centre with two rosewood wings in place of the rosewood trio as used by Martin;

Kiso-Suzuki-Pair-lo-res.jpg

Pip.

Hang on...that is really something. Unusual, hmm?

But - back to the OP - quite a lot of Strats....!

Edited by jdgm

More realistically I'd happily go for Lot #59; the plastic Maccaferri - just about the lowest-priced guitar in the catalogue but I've loved them since seeing Jeff Beck playing one ( which was given to him by Jimmy Page!).

Pip.

I missed that one. I've never heard one close up but I'm amazed at the the rich tone that they produce.

Edited by merciful-evans

Does anyone wonder why he's suddenly put them up for sale?...

To raise funds for his charitable works. He isn't short of cash himself - his net 'worth' is estimated to be around the $150,000,000 mark - but he does raise / donate very large sums to various charities with especial focus on helping the homeless. Famously, in 2002, he sold his property in the Little Venice area of london and gave the proceeds - reported variously as being between £3.5m and £4.5m - to the homeless charity Crisis. Here's a link;

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/pink-floyd-star-sells-45m-house-and-gives-money-to-help-homeless-9164388.html

Pip.

This is what Mr Gilmour says

These guitars have been very good to me and many of them have given me pieces of music over the years. They have paid for themselves many times over, but it’s now time that they moved on. Guitars were made to be played and it is my wish that wherever they end up, they continue to give their owners the gift of music. By auctioning these guitars I hope that I can give some help where it is really needed and through my charitable foundation do some good in this world. It will be a wrench to see them go and perhaps one day I’ll have to track one or two of them down and buy them back!

• 4 weeks later...

A fantastic collection with some rare early instruments.  My question is when you have owned these 125 some guitars, and are auctioning them off for charitable purposes - what guitar(s) do you keep?  It's not like he's going to stop playing and not own a guitar.